Worth getting a pc just for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmannawar

In Runtime
I currently have a mac (because my mom hates PCs) but, i have always wanted a nice desktop PC. My friend and I spent like three hours finding the best parts that suited my needs if i were to get a PC. One of the main reasons I want one is to install linux on it. Is it Linux worth it for someone who loves coding? Also is it worth getting the PC mainly because i want to install linux instead of Mac's OS x? If you think there is a better OS (that isnt mac/windows) than Linux, feel free to say so.

Um, you know OSx is a variant of *nix, BSD isn't it?

So you technically have linux. Youre smartest thing would be run a linux in a virtual machine to try linux out before you pend money.

My 2 cents and/or personal opinion:

OSX is a closed variant of BSD, which is Unix based. Linux also originated from the Unix family, and as a result, there are a lot of things similar about Linux to OSX, but there's quite a lot that's different as well. More often than you'd imagine I'm in OSX trying to issue command or do things that is Linux specific and as a result, doesn't work. On the flip side, there's a lot about OSX that feels very Linux-like.

Putting Linux in a VM to see how you'll like it is easily the smartest thing you can do to try it out. That way you get a feel for it to see if you'd like to look into it further.

I personally have been building my own desktop computers for quite a while. I currently have four desktops, two of which I use heavily (personal desktop and file/backup server) as well as 3 laptops (1 personal laptop with Ubuntu, 1 work laptop with Ubuntu, and another work laptop that's OSX). I also have a home theatre system that runs Ubuntu as well. If it wasn't for Linux, I probably wouldn't be that interested in technology because I'm not exactly a fan of Apple and Microsoft's business model, and quite honestly, their products. I've used Linux (mostly Ubuntu, but I've tried at least 20 other distributions for extensive test drives as well) for the better part of 8 years now. Once I got hooked on the philosophical background of the open source model and saw what it was capable of, I simply haven't looked back ever since.

I think a VM will more easily guide you down which route you want to take. You very well might fire up the VM and think this is terrible, why would I build a computer just for this awful software. On the flip side it might further solidify your original intentions. At any rate, before I spend a dollar on anything, I always like to test drive it somehow. Ubuntu is free. Virtualbox is free. You have a computer that is capable of running Virtualbox. A free test drive that takes very little time? Win win situation there, my friend.

I agree with Jayce.

While I use Windows 7 for day to day usage, I play with Linux. Not hard core or anything, but still. I have Ubuntu on my laptop and Debian on my dedicated Linux system.

I still have to know my way around Windows for my parents and friends' computers.

One day, I might actually switch to Linux. I find that I no longer have a use for Windows, all the apps I use, save Photoshop CS5, is on Linux as well. But, you could always run a VM if I ever drastically needed Photoshop.

I still have to know my way around Windows for my parents and friends' computers.

I'd like to build on this point a little bit because I feel it is very important these days. It is no longer a Windows world. It's a world that involves several technologies. Sure, the average Joe on the street may not have heard of Linux, and most hardcore Windows users may not care about Mac, but talk to any real technician and you'll learn they've likely utilized a secondary platform other than their favorite at some point in time. Knowledge is power, and limiting yourself to one platform (whether you like it or not) is not a great thing to do. If you walk into a job interview and they want somebody who is familiar with multiple platforms, it's an easy win if you've utilized them all with an open mind. The only disadvantage to most people (personal opinion speaking here) would be OSX, because OSX is A: not on the majority of computers out there and B: is so ridiculously expensive that most people (myself included) can't just go buy one for experimental purposes. But if an opportunity comes up, why not? Windows and Linux have the advantages because Windows is everywhere and Linux is free and so easily obtainable.

@ Nick - That said, I'm curious to see which route you take. Also, have you posted in the hardware section? I'd be interested in seeing what hardware you picked out for your build as well.

Thx i'll look into all these ideas. I like ubuntu, but that IS a win win to test drive it for free. I have a three day weekend to test it out. I'll post my results and descisions Monday night and any other questions i have during the weekend.

@ Jayce: I have not actually posted all the parts i picked out but i will on sunday. I cant today because my list is with a friend who is currently out of town.

My quick input here... I'd say it's worth it if it was your first computer. My first computer was a Dell XPS (500Mhz Pentuim III.. was it a III? I'm sure it was a III...) with like 320MB RAM.. Learned computers in and out (mostly.. I was pretty young and only knew basic commands like "apt-get" and make or configure..

Now that I have this Mac, though, I rarely use Linux. If I do, it's because a class requires it. Mac OS does everything I need in the programming department through vim or eclipse or something.

I agree with MoM about keeping Windows.. nearly everyone I know uses it so it pays (almost literally :tongue:) to know Windows very well. I've only worked on Linux machines a handful of times and Mac OS machines about as much.

My last statement... Linux is just fun to play with and a very, very nice way to really start to learn the terminal and about other filesystems, protocols, etc etc. :tongue:

I do agree with the comment about needing to know more than one OS at work.
Mobile OS's have come into play a lot for most IT departments and some people have had to learn new skills to keep up
I have to know about all the operating systems not just the main ones such as Windows & Mac
we need to have good working knowledge of unix/linux, iOS, Android, Blackberry OS/QNX, WebOS, Symbian etc.

While Windows is still by far the main OS by a country mile, it doesn't do any harm to learn about one or two of the other systems.

I look forward to seeing what you have built and what OS you have gone for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom