Worth fixing or ditchin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my memory serves me correctly (been a while I've turn that PC on), I have no way of seeing what I typed. If I do, then I'll know I'm seeing caps or not. I've also tested in different combinations (all lower, all caps) and doesn't work.

Anything else to type to bypass this username/password gatekeeper?

When you enter your password on the Linux terminal, it doesn't show anything (not letters, not asterisks, not dashes, nothing) but it does know you're typing. Hit Enter after typing your password and it will continue. If it is stuck in a loop, it's almost 100% that you're missing your password (probably typed it wrong to begin with). I would just reinstall Ubuntu altogether. Boot up an Ubuntu LiveCD and you'll be able to use GParted to edit partitions. Then you can reinstall, making sure you enter your password correctly (make sure Caps Lock is off!). Then you should be able to log in, and if you partition some empty space in, you should also have room to put XP in a dual-boot system.

A word of advice: Linux isn't the best OS for DVR/HTPC things. I have two TV cards, neither of which work well in Linux. I could never get MythTV working either, too many pieces. If you could find a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition that'd probably be good.

When you enter your password on the Linux terminal, it doesn't show anything (not letters, not asterisks, not dashes, nothing) but it does know you're typing. Hit Enter after typing your password and it will continue. If it is stuck in a loop, it's almost 100% that you're missing your password (probably typed it wrong to begin with). I would just reinstall Ubuntu altogether. Boot up an Ubuntu LiveCD and you'll be able to use GParted to edit partitions. Then you can reinstall, making sure you enter your password correctly (make sure Caps Lock is off!). Then you should be able to log in, and if you partition some empty space in, you should also have room to put XP in a dual-boot system.

A word of advice: Linux isn't the best OS for DVR/HTPC things. I have two TV cards, neither of which work well in Linux. I could never get MythTV working either, too many pieces. If you could find a copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition that'd probably be good.

Thanks for advice! I didn't try Ubuntu LiveCD so I'll burn that one today (already have Gparted but didn't try that first). And this PC was in WinXP originally. Stupid of me to switch to Mythbuntu without updating WinXP first to test DVR. Hope someone else learns from my mistake.

Ubuntu LiveCD will have the graphical interface even before you install it. Pop in the CD, boot up, then at the top of the screen go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor to bring up GParted, which you can then do as you wish to your hard drive. You should be able to install MythTV on top of a regular Ubuntu install (never tried though) and with GParted you can dual-boot.

Ubuntu LiveCD will have the graphical interface even before you install it. Pop in the CD, boot up, then at the top of the screen go to System -> Administration -> Partition Editor to bring up GParted, which you can then do as you wish to your hard drive. You should be able to install MythTV on top of a regular Ubuntu install (never tried though) and with GParted you can dual-boot.

Many thanks! I printed this and am d/l Ubuntu as I type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom