word document corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreeee

Beta member
Does anyone have a solution to this?. An important wordpad document have been damaged by too many saves, about half the text is gone and replaced with these characters \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ .

I had the same problem with a .doc document a year ago and found a simple solution on a forum, i could fix it in the word program, but i cannot remember what i did to fix it = /.

I have tried to highlight all the text and change the text to Arial, etc. I have also tried to copy the text and open the document in other programs without success.

There is no way to fix a corrupted word document anyway that i know of. Character switching is a lot different than corruption. What version of Windows are you using?

XP home 2002. I have fixed this problem before, but i cant find any help on google, i have serached for two hours and tried everything i can find.

That is because the problem you had before was not corruption, it was merely a character set change. Which is why just by highlighting the selected text and changing it to Arial it worked. You cant fix a corrupted text file by just switching the font.

What is the extension of the file? Is it .doc, .txt or .rtf?

When i fixed it before i didnt highlight any text and change the front. I did 3 steps with the word program and i think one of the steps was remaking the document into another form of document, but i have tried many different tips i can find on google and nothing is working. Very annoying since i know there is a easy solution to this problem.

Its a .doc wordpad document.

Try uploading it to google docs. The other day my friend has an encoding problem with her resume, and I uploaded it there and it made it readable.

Thats actully not what i did, and nothing of that worked for me. I havent tried the repair in word 2007 yet, will do this later.

The google docs didnt work, my file is to large.

Well of course we are not going to know what you did. You said yourself you found it on some random website a year ago. How are we supposed to know what that solution was to know if that is what you did? No one is about to link to every forum that has a corrupted document fix via a search engine. You said you already tried Google. So what good would that do.

I have given you the best choices due to the information provided. If your looking for the steps you found on that random website last year, you wont find it here. You have already said that the steps listed by 2 different websites, 1 of which is linked to Microsoft, didnt work and that using other methods didnt work due to the size.

So your only hope is that Office 2007 has a backup copy or your going to be outta luck. Fixing a corrupted document is not that simple of a task. I have documents from over 15 years ago that i can still open and save with no issues. Something else must have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom