Wondering about my connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very unlikely that a Cat 5e (hopefully, that is what it is and not a Cat 5) cable would just fail unless it had some sort of physical action performed on it (RJ45 plug crimp pulled loose, cable stepped on and damaged, etc.) I have heard of lightning strikes buring out a cable, but that is pretty rare, too. Unless you have a reason to suspect the network cable, it is probably a different problem.

Sorry, I missed your last two posts. Check the linksys warranty card and give them a call. They might be willing to fix it under warranty. Would not hurt to ask. By the way, have them help you troubleshoot the router, upgrade the firmware, etc., before you ask them to replace it.

Ok tried my friends router and im getting the same problem which leads me to believe my computers just being a huge ***** about being router.

Anyway to fix this?

You've tried different games / servers too, right? I just want to ensure that it isn't someone elses issue.

More than likely it is your connection, all of your friends could have the same ISP and not have an issue - it depends on your line/connection.

Google some speed tests and determine what bandwidth you are getting. Then have a friend whom has the same ISP but not the same issues and see what theirs are. Try this and record the findings, see if there are peaks/lags through the day and evening. If everything still seems fine (meaning your friends bandwidth and yours are near identical during these tests) then take your PC to your friends out and test it. This should determine an ISP / rounter / modem issue or your computer.

1. check bandwidth
2. test your computer at a friends house (play the game for a while see if the problem persists)
3. switch out your NIC. They are cheap (15 or so dollars).

At least that gives you some options.

Wy would it be a connection problem? When my computer goes straight to my modem I have no issues at all

I would say that there is a connection problem between the router and the modem. Did you power them both down and then plug in the router first then the modem? This is to ensure that the router and modem detect each other and play nicely with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom