Wireless Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropper

Beta member
h*llo everyone, im having a problem with my wireless network. i hope you can help me because its driving me crazy!

heres the situation:

I have a wireless-g router in my room. there is another computer in my house that wants access to the internet (wireless).

so, i bought a usb wireless network adaptor. the problem is that in the basement, i am not getting a signal at all!

i thought this could be the router's problem. but when i go down there with my laptop, i get a fairly strong signal.

so i moved the computer to the middle floor out of sheer frustration. now im getting a very weak signal (but its connecting)...

it is still very unstable though. does anyone know why this might be a problem?

thanks for reading this and if you can help me, that would be great!

Get a wireless/WiFi Access Point. It's like a router but it's specially made for carrying your wireless signal around the corners, or up and down the floors. Put one by the entrance of the basement.

A common cause to your problem is that you purchased the wrong wireless adapter for that computer down there. You need to know your router's signal types/frequency before going out to get an adapter for a computer. Also, a so-so wireless product may very well have a poor antenna which greatly compromises the equipment's ability to receive the signal.

i know several people have the same problem with the usb adaptors, including me, i switched to a pci slot wireless card and it works perfect

My bet is that the USB adapter is generic. Go out and buy a brand name (Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, etc) PCI wireless card. That should give you a better signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom