wireless power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCents05

Daemon Poster
i was watching a mac commercial and it said they have a magnetic power cord so if you trip over the cord it would come out without taking the comp down. stupidest idea ive ever heard of but of course its a mac(dont flame). but if they can transfer power thru a magnet how possible would it be to transfer power wirelessly?? just need a stronger magnetic field cept something that strong would most likely act like an esp so i dunno whoever invents this is gonna become a billionaire lol

Power cant be transfered wirelessly, it would be like a bolt of electricity going from a wall socket to the back of your pc, imagine what would happen during a power surge, or if someone dropped something between the 2 points or even walked between them.

NewCents05 said:
i was watching a mac commercial and it said they have a magnetic power cord so if you trip over the cord it would come out without taking the comp down. stupidest idea ive ever heard of but of course its a mac(dont flame). but if they can transfer power thru a magnet how possible would it be to transfer power wirelessly?? just need a stronger magnetic field cept something that strong would most likely act like an esp so i dunno whoever invents this is gonna become a billionaire lol

1. You're the one flaming. May I ask why it's the "stupidest" idea you've ever heard?

2. The magnet holds the normal conductors together. It is not transfered magnetically. A better example instead of Mac laptops would be electric toothbrushes, where they charge through plastic. Don't ask me how it works ... cause I really have no idea. :(

The MagSafe Power Adapter is just that: a magnetic connection instead of a physical one. So tripping over a power cord wonÂ’t send your shiny new MacBook flying off a table or desk; the cord simply breaks cleanly away, without damage to either the cord or the system. As an added nicety, this means less wear on the connectors.
From Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

The magnetic power cord is a regular power cord that attaches to the computer via magnets. It doesn't transmit electricity through the magnets.

Although, you would be better off having a physical connection, as the magsafe has no use in protecting your MacBook, it simply sets it on fire! Its only a magnetic connection that holds it together, not transferring through magnets, it still has normal conduction connectors!

Ruan

Vybuni said:
From Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

The magnetic power cord is a regular power cord that attaches to the computer via magnets. It doesn't transmit electricity through the magnets.

oh crud youre right lol well that sucks ughghghghg wireless power would kick so much *** **** it

and im just saying that making it magnetic just so that if you trip over it your shiny notebook wont fall is a retarded idea. the magnetic thing is pretty cool actually but the reasoning behind it is dumb.

Why is the reasoning behind it dumb? I wouldn't want my computer to be f***ed up if someone walked through the power cord and knocked it to the ground.

how often does that happen? your laptop falling off your table cause you tripped over the power cord

that commercial is just saying dont buy a pc notebook cause it doesnt have a magnetic powercord cause i mean you are def bound to trip over your cord and knock it over and break everything

i heard wireless power is possible...

i forget the dude's name.. but he has a computer show.. he's pretty lame though...

Re: Re: wireless power?

The General said:

2. The magnet holds the normal conductors together. It is not transfered magnetically. A better example instead of Mac laptops would be electric toothbrushes, where they charge through plastic. Don't ask me how it works ... cause I really have no idea. :(

it is just electromagnetic induction. the magnetic field passes through the plastic, and induces a current the other side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom