Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zune Guy

In Runtime
Once upon a time...
there was a thing called broadband. It made lives so easy for people as it allowed large files to be easily downloaded, and video-conferencing was at last feasible (ISDN is just bad news!). Everything seemed dandy until it was discovered that the cost of upgrading lines/exchanges was too high to be worth doing rural areas, so the companys didn't.:eek: End of story? I really hope not.
I'm in a rural area. The exchange won't be upgraded for a millenia :D and all the wireless services seem to have neglected us. Satellite is our only option, but I want to share it with about 3-4 people within a 3km radius (I'm elevated slightly with clear LOS), so we can split monthly costs and installation.Therefore I have a few Questions
(1) Any reccomendations on good satellite BB providers in Ireland that don't have a <25GB download limit/fair-use policy and don't mind sharing of it.
(2) What type of antenna will I need, can I get a 360degree one or am I restricted to 180 or less, and any particular reccomendation
(3)Any bog standard router will do I hope as long as it allows an external antenna, is that right?
(4)I only need a PCI card for the neighbours, correct? :eek:

Thanks for any help at all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom