Wireless n behind wireless g?

NOLACop

Baseband Member
I have ATT Uverse Internet service. The uverse router/ gateway is a 802.11g. I get a lot of jitters when I stream movies from my NAS to my TV or PS3. I was thinking about adding an 802.11n router to boost the LAN speed. From what I learned this will not increase my Internet from the uverse RG but will allow for much faster LAN speed between devices on my network. Is this correct and how would I configure the N router so I don't get any errors? Would I basically set it up as an access point and would that require changing any settings on my devices?

The summary of this is: yes, you are pretty much correct. You want to put your Uverse into DMZ mode, essentially acting as a bridge. You also want to turn off the wireless function on your ATT modem as well, as to not have any confusion.

When you connect your router to the (now gateway or bridge), you should be able to disable all firewall and security and allow your router to do all those functions for you. That will greatly increase your internal traffic speed, and shouldn't put a damper on your up/down speeds you're getting outside your local network (ie, internet).

Yes, N speeds are much better than G and yes, you would configure the N router as an access point.

Connect the N router to the Uverse gateway with an ethernet cable - make sure you use one of the N router's LAN ports and not the WAN/Internet port. The router will be set to gateway mode by default, so you'll want to change it to access point mode. Depending on the router, the terminology will be different but it shouldn't be hard to figure out - each mode will have a short description that should be pretty self-explanatory, i.e. "This is the mode to use if the router is connected directly to the modem".

You don't have to, but you might as well disable the wireless on the Uverse gateway since you won't be using it. You'll have to set up a new wireless network on the N router, and your device settings would have to be changed to connect to the N network. Make sure you use WPA security at the minimum.

One caveat: If you have any devices that are only wireless G, then keep the G network on the gateway and connect the G devices to that network. The reason is that a G device can connect to an N network, but it will slow everything down to G speeds. This means that any device connecting to the N network should have a wireless N adapter.

I also have Uverse and this is the exact setup I use.

...One caveat: If you have any devices that are only wireless G, then keep the G network on the gateway and connect the G devices to that network. The reason is that a G device can connect to an N network, but it will slow everything down to G speeds.

Maybe purchase a router that has G as well as N then?

Thanks for the advise guys. The only things I use on my wireless network are a MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhones, PS3, and my Sony Bravia TV. All of which I believe are wireless N.

Maybe purchase a router that has G as well as N then?

Well, just about all home N routers have A/B/G capability, but any non-N device on the wireless-N network will slow it down. I suppose that, with a simultaneous dual band router, you can set the 2.4 GHz band to mixed mode and connect G devices to that band. However, not all N adapters can connect to the 5 GHz band, so this would still slow down N devices on the 2.4 GHz band.

Thanks for the advise guys. The only things I use on my wireless network are a MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhones, PS3, and my Sony Bravia TV. All of which I believe are wireless N.

I don't know what the TV has, but the PS3 only has and supports wireless G. The only way to improve speed would be to connect it to the router with an ethernet cable.

Back
Top Bottom