Wireless Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer player

Baseband Member
Last night I bought a router/acess point and a USB wireless card. Everything worked fine and I was able to acess the internet wireless throughout my house. This morning it will not work. Nothing was touched or altered in any way. I had 3 computers in the network before I switched to wireless. Those 3 computers are still not wireless. I recently got a laptop and wanted wireless capabilties. So with the laptop I have 4 computers in the network. With the new wireless router all the 3 computers acess the internet, but the laptop does not. The icon on the toolbar says:
"Connected to network: linksys"
"Network type: acess point"
"Encryption: off"
"Transfer rate: 54Mbits/sec"

Next to that is the icon of the computer screen and it says:
"Wireless connection 6 (linksys)"
"Speed: 54 Mbps"
"Signal strenght: excellent"
"Status: acquiring network adress" and it keeps doing that.

It was working fine the other day. I reinstalled the software for the USB wireless card twice and nothing was fixed. What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Why are you on wireless connection 6? I had a problem where mine kept adding connections so I deleted my card and all connections and re-added them. Still working fine for me.

To be completly honest, wireless via those USB dongles is totally whack. My girlfriend had one on my old PC when she was using it (she went from 900MHz Celeron to AMD 2400 XP+ after I got my current setup) and it was SOOO tempramental. Sometimes it would work, others it wouldn't.

Now she has a Gateway laptop (AMD of course :cool: ) and I have NEVER been able to recreate the problem with it's internal wireless...

Here are some of the things that seemed to help previously:
1. Try unplugging the USB dongle... let it sit for a minute, then plug it in again. (might need to do this a few times)
2. Have you tried rebooting the router when this happens? (DON'T reset to factory defaults, just power off / power on)
3. Have you tried rebooting the PC?

When you have this problem, open a command prompt (START > RUN > 'CMD' ) on the Laptop, and perform the following.... 'IPCONFIG /ALL'. Then note down, and post the following info that it gives to you

IP ADDRESS
SUBNET MASK
DEFAULT GATEWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom