Wireless connected - but no internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was having a problem like that one day, so I logged onto the router, and assigned a static IP address to that machine and I havent had that problem since. Also if you have a WEP on, you may only be partly connected. Just incase you didnt know.

I have a DNS server specified, thanks.

I am, contrary to what I said above, able to ping yahoo.com. Cannot seem to ping any other addresses.

str8lazy, my router has a static IP (it's not assigned by the modem) and appears to be properly assigning IPs to all connected machines, including laptop which is connected wirelessly. But the "connected" laptop cannot surf or connect to email server. I have also tried assigning a static IP to the wireless connection, but that changed nothing either.

Any other suggestions?

i assume you have your gateway set properly on the laptop?

thats the only thing that wasnt mentioned that i could think of at the moment.

mfargis said:
First post for me. Read a LOT of other posts, but couldn't find one describing my issue.

My laptop connects to my wireless router. I get the "connected" and "excellent signal" affirmations. But when I start up Firefox (and IE) I get the "page not found" message. The router seems to be assigning an IP address to the laptop, but I cannot surf or access email.

Anyone got an idea? I'm afraid I am overlooking something very simple.

Thanks.

Ok this happens almost everytime I turn on my computer. It seems like because of my neighbor who uses router, interferes with my wifi card. This problem deals with IP address.

OK now
1. Press start
2. GO to my network place
3. press view my network connection
4. Right click on Local area connection (It might say differently on yours)
5. Press disable (from right click)
It will disable in 10 sec
6. right click again and press enable

it will automatically change your IP address

hopefully this will help
LMK what happens next

I am having the same exact problem. none of your solutions has worked. can anyone help me/us?

try connecting, then disconnecting, and connecting again and repeat this few times (like 2 or 3, each time checking if you get connection)

that doesnt work. the thing is i am getting connection, but i cant surf the net. i cant ping any site either.

I solved my problem by completely disabling Norton Internet Security.

Many thanks to those who contributed suggestions.

As Homer would say, "D'oh!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom