Wireless AP instead of router for one wireless device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Just curious if this would work. I have a basic wireless access point. It is NOT a router. For someone who has a basic no frills broadband modem, would I be able to (once I configure the access point with SSID, security, etc.) be able to hook in the AP and allow the user to have wireless?

AKA:

Inbound Cable Line > Broadband Modem > Access Point > Laptop.

Possible? Or do I NEED a router?

Yes an access point will give you wireless access to the Internet but standard consumer-level routers use NAT (network address translation) which gives you two things: 1) it gives you a good basic firewall, far better IMHO than any firewall software running on a Windows computer can do; and 2) it gives you the ability to have multiple computers or devices on your local network. This part may not be an issue but most ISPs will limit how many computers you have on your connection, often to only one. If you have only one computer connected wirelessly then you're fine, but if your network is anything like the other millions of networks in the world sooner or later you'll want to connect more devices, like a network printer or another computer, and then your ISP won't allow it. Of course, you can wait until that happens to buy a router, and reconfigure your wireless again at that point. Your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom