Wireless Access Point - Anything special to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I was thinking the other day... along with the sound system and cable TV in the garage, it was missing something.

Wireless internet! Brilliant!

I want to be able to be in the garage and remote in to my file server, therefore granting my laptop access to a ton of music, to where I can plug in the laptop to the stereo and rock out kiss style.

I have a basic WRT54G Linksys router now, but at the garage I grab, at best, 1/5 bars. I'd like to be able to string an ethernet cable up to the attic and mount the access point towards the window, which is in direct line of sight to the garage.

I'm kind of familiar with this on a large scale, but not so much at a home level, since a basic router/access point has always served my needs. I was just wondering if there was anything special to know. If I plug in an access point, will it take on the security from my router? Or do I have to configure each piece of hardware to accompany my security settings?

As far as I know the WRT54G won't inherit any security if that's what you're getting at. However Whatever your router is doing will protect the access point. However, and I'm sure you know, you will have to set up the wireless security separately (WEP/WPA). Instead of running a cable through the walls of your house you could try using an antenna adapter to give you more range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom