Winsxs Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Just looked it up and I read it took up a lot of space lol...but this much? 12GB :(.

nof3mf.jpg

I'll run the guide to lessen it down which is shown here winsxs folder way to big!.

Is it safe to remove though, what's you opinion on it?

Winsxs is, I believe, where it saves your profile, programs and such. Might want to try Ccleaner, that cleans most of it out.

Winsxs is, I believe, where it saves some window updates. Might want to try Ccleaner, that cleans most of it out.
CCleaner didn't pick up anything to do with that folder :(. Tried TuneUp Utilities 2010 also, same result. Seems like that folder got huge over night though :umm: because I had roughly 21GB free, then I downloaded and installed Combat Arms over...which equaled to 2GB. When I watched the size of free space today, it said 16GB :wtf:.

The Secret Of Windows 7 / Vista Winsxs Folder.

There have been several blogs and even some “underground” tools that tell you it's ok to delete the WinSxS directory, and it's certainly true that after installation, you can remove it from the system and it will appear that the system boots and runs fine. But as described above, this is a very bad practice, as you're removing the ability to reliably service, all operating system components and the ability to update or configure optional components on your system. Windows Vista only supports the WinSxS directory on the physical drive in its originally installed location. The risks far outweigh the gains removing it or relocating it from the system, given the data described above.

I have done it before without any negative effect.

I didnt use any underground tools. I didnt try the exe. I just deleted the folder myself and made a backup of it on my external just in case. nothing bad happened so i left it deleted and removed it from my external.

I dont trust the underground tools. I dont trust that exe as i dont know who created it and i dont know if they have been tested spyware free. I gave the link cause it gave more insite as to what the WinSXS folder is all about.

I didnt use any underground tools. I didnt try the exe. I just deleted the folder myself and made a backup of it on my external just in case. nothing bad happened so i left it deleted and removed it from my external.

I dont trust the underground tools. I dont trust that exe as i dont know who created it and i dont know if they have been tested spyware free. I gave the link cause it gave more insite as to what the WinSXS folder is all about.
Yeah I read about it from the link, I'm just a lil bit curious if to just delete it. Guess I'll try your method and backup -> delete and see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom