Windows Server features.. WHY would you even need this?

Lex, you work for a company and own another one if I am not mistaken. Last time I checked, I couldn't purchase a Blade Server thru the Enterprise area of the Dell site without having some sort of corporate account. So while you may see them online, that doesn't mean that an average consumer can purchase them. I can find them easily, but then again I can access business sites.

Good call Mak - you are correct.

While the general public could setup an account and purchase blade servers, you can't just go online and purchase them - you are right. When you are dealing with 10k purchases for just one blade and a proper rack you can't just throw that on a fly-by-night visa and get it shipped.

I think this has more to do with the money that is changing hand than anything. We (my company) setup a server (PowerEdge) and the total cost of a few grand and I purchased it with a standard credit card. But i think if i were to do the same thing and purchase something above say 8k i'm sure Dell has some different procedures set in place.

That is really my whole point. While you "may" find them online, the chance you will be able to purchase as an end user and not part of a company is going to be tough. Other than FleaBay or CraigsList there isnt going to be to many places that are going to sell a home user blade servers cause they want to create map packs for their favorite game. ;) :D

Well that and you are an idiot if you spend that much money so you can run your webserver with teamspeak, or run your minecraft server...

I guess we kind of got off topic - but from what mom, ksod and everyone else has said you get the general idea. You truly won't understand the totality of servers and their environment though unless you are in a corporate environment or have to support one.

Back
Top Bottom