Windows Explorer keeps shutting down and restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CohentheBarbarian

Beta member
Hi all,

I need some help. I am running Windows XP SP3 and just recently my Windows Explorer keeps shutting down and restarting. This seems to occur every 5 seconds or so for about 15 mins and then Explorer doesn't restart.

I have installed a second version of XP and this works fine, however all my programs as files are on the initial version and I would rather fix this one than have to re-install everyting to the new copy.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get it back again.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi Mak,

Thanks for replying, I have tried both options but to no avail, The last point I can restore back to is just after the problem manifested itself, so no help there.

As for a System Recovery, I have SP3 version of the XP disk and this does not support Recovery Console as it has Automated System Recovery which keeps asking for a disk I don't have..

Any other thoughts? I have tried all I can think of, including installing a 2nd copy of XP and trying to copy the contents of the Windows directory back onto itself, this however still losses the files and programs I want to keep..

All help would be appreiciated

Things like this happen when installing a program that replaces system files with older versions or custom modified files. XP's file protection system isn't bulletproof.

Hello,

Using the 2nd install use the file and settings transfer wizard. That might be your only hope. Just coying over the files yo uwill miss important stuff like the Registry keys used to run the software and the other files that are stored in teh App Data folder.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom