Windows asking me for password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carnage,

In XP the Admin account isnt hidden. That is ONLY Vista. I setup a Admin password all the time. Every time i install. It is also different from my password i use on my accoutn as well. Unless of course i am in Vista which i use the Hidden Admin account.

Cheers,
Mak

Carnage,

In XP the Admin account isnt hidden. That is ONLY Vista. I setup a Admin password all the time. Every time i install. It is also different from my password i use on my accoutn as well. Unless of course i am in Vista which i use the Hidden Admin account.

Cheers,
Mak

The system admin (hidden one) was hidden by default on my XP install... It doesnt show up on my login screen along with my normal passworded admin account, unless I boot into Safe Mode. Same thing with a few computers I've had to fix.

After the BIOS screen (before the Windows loading bar), press F8, and pick to boot into Safe Mode. You should get the logon screen with the normal user, along with an account called 'Administrator,' which is the hidden system admin account. Click it to boot into the hidden admin account. After it's loaded, open up Control Panel, and go to User Accounts, then pick the username you want to take the password off of, pick 'Remove my password.'

The system admin (hidden one) was hidden by default on my XP install... It doesnt show up on my login screen along with my normal passworded admin account, unless I boot into Safe Mode. Same thing with a few computers I've had to fix.
While this is true, in XP the account created is a Admin account and can do everything that the Hidden Admin account can. Not the same can be said of the Vista setup. The account created during setup is only a power user account with some Admin rights. Which is why UAC is active on the account. If you unhide the Admin account UAC is not active cause you do not have to be prompted for Admin rights to do tasks as you are using the Admin account for real. Just like in XP.

I hope that clarifies what i meant.
:rolleyes:what is boot into the hidden administrator?
how to boot into the hidden administrator?
how to remove the password on the regular account?
thanks !
To boot into the Admin account restart and hit F8 before the Windows loading screen. This will allow you to get into Safe Mode. Before you enter Safe Mode you will see the Admin account as a account to select to log into to use in Safe Mode.
To remove a password log into the Admin account and go under the Control Panel>User Accounts. there you can remove the passwords.

Cheers,
Mak

PS there is a way to get the Admin account usable in XP as well as getting it to be used in Vista. But since the Accounts you create in XP with Admin rights can do everything that the Admin account that is hidden can do. It is pointless.

It helps when there's only 1 admin account, that's passworded, and you need to remove the password though, which is what I was getting at.

Carnage,

I can understand what you were getting at. But at the same time to tell people to go into Safe Mode when they can do everything from their normal account isnt necessary. ;)

I can see what you are saying. But if it is spyware or malware, it could have password protected the hidden account as well. Which is where the tools i was talking about comes into play. Seeing as how he doesnt remember setting the passwords i would lean toward that option as more likely. That way they have full control over the system. Not just of 1 user account.

Cheers,
Mak

True, and I see what you're getting at too. Now they know multiple ways to remove a password :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom