Windows 98 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonspell

Beta member
Hello all.
I am at my grandmas and trying to install a net card in her computer. I do not have the specs of the computer. I got the message posted in the subject which is Invalid vxd dynamic link call to device number 3, service b It says restart computer to fix the problem but I get the same message. Windows will not start in normal or safe mode. The only way I can get it to do anything is through the command line and I am not good enough to navigate it with any form of success. Can someone help me? thank you.

The net card probably doesn't have driver support for 98.

Sounds like the drive may have cause an issue with the OS. Not sure how you roll back a driver through the command line - google may be able to help.

Win98 was a long time ago :D It sounds like a IRQ conflict with another device. Have you tried restarting the PC with the network card removed? Have you tried plugging the net card into a different slot. Each slot is assigned a specific IRQ and because of the way the devices have to share IRQ's not every device is compatible in each slot. Like I said, it's been a long time, I'm probably not explaining this right. Hope I helped :D

It said ti would work with 98. and I asked the guy at Microcenter and he said it would work also. Taking the Card out did nothing.

Dont trust anyone at a shop. They will tell you it will work just to get the sale. Unless the card was old stock from about 8 years ago, it doesnt have Win98 Drivers. Almost all manufacturers stopped making drivers for that almost 5 years ago. Around the same time that Microsoft themselves stopped supporting the OS.

Can you give a make and model of the card so we can at least try to find proper drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom