Windows 8.1 update

x51noob

In Runtime
So my bit defender told me that windows had some critical update last night so I installed it. Ever since when I had been playing mw3 it randomly will freeze and I'll have to reboot. This has happened a few times now once while in game and twice while alt escaped out of the game. Could the update be causing this ?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Have you checked the Event Viewer and seen if it gives any indication of what could be causing the freezing?

I'd try updating all your drivers (GPU, chipset, audio, network) and get the Win8.1 drivers, because they may be slightly different than the Win8 drivers and could possibly fix issues.

Have you checked the Event Viewer and seen if it gives any indication of what could be causing the freezing?

I'd try updating all your drivers (GPU, chipset, audio, network) and get the Win8.1 drivers, because they may be slightly different than the Win8 drivers and could possibly fix issues.
I haven't checked an event viewer didn't know it existed. and all my drivers are up to date. also not isolated to mw3 just did it on assassins creed black flag too D:

oops...okay the event viewer spouts this out before the reboots

: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Well, check for an updated BIOS on the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Also, when you say your drivers are up to date... are you manually checking the driver version and going to the component manufacturer's site? or are you just right clicking -> Check for Update?

Because if you're doing the "check for update" method, all that is doing is checking against M$'s servers for an "updated" version that they have, and usually isn't the newest (or necessarily the most stable) driver available. So I suggest doing the manual check method.

Well, check for an updated BIOS on the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Also, when you say your drivers are up to date... are you manually checking the driver version and going to the component manufacturer's site? or are you just right clicking -> Check for Update?

Because if you're doing the "check for update" method, all that is doing is checking against M$'s servers for an "updated" version that they have, and usually isn't the newest (or necessarily the most stable) driver available. So I suggest doing the manual check method.
yep I manually check pretty frequently actually. just did a restore point to before that win update and it didn't help. is it possible my overclock on my CPU has become unstable? 4770k @ 4.4 GHz. 1.25 volts. passed all the tests and never had a problem before.

Mystery seems solved...somehow my voltage got set to manual at 1.0 volts instead of the adaptive 1.25 volts that was stable...have no idea how it happened but alas I'm gaming again

Back
Top Bottom