windows 8.1 pro

Not sure what you mean "so it boots to that specific one" ?

You said you have a dual boot setup... if it's on 1 HDD, that's determined by the bootloader on the HDD. You should get a boot selection menu when you boot off of the HDD...

Or are you fresh-installing Win 8.1?

no longer dual boot. trying to do a fresh install of win 8.1. when i say boot from a specific one i am referring to one of these:

---> UEFI boot sources
-----------usb floppy/cd
-----------usb hard drive
-----------ATAPI CD-ROM
.......Legacy boot sources
--------ATAPi cd-rom
--------USB FLOPPY/CD
-----------ATAPI cd-rom
-----hard drive
-----------sata1
-----Network controller (atheros boot agent)

should i select hard drive sata1? should BIOS look like this normally? is there a way to restore bios?

thx

no longer dual boot. trying to do a fresh install of win 8.1. when i say boot from a specific one i am referring to one of these:

---> UEFI boot sources
-----------usb floppy/cd
-----------usb hard drive
-----------ATAPI CD-ROM
--------ATAPi cd-rom
--------USB FLOPPY/CD
-----------ATAPI cd-rom
-----hard drive
-----------sata1

should i select hard drive sata1? should BIOS look like this normally? is there a way to restore bios?

thx

It depends on what your install source is... Are you installing from a disc? USB drive?

You would select the HDD as your primary boot source if you already have Windows installed and are trying to boot into it.

installing from a disc. Where do u see HDD on that list. I am pretty sure it use to say that which is why i want to know if there is a way to restore BIOS so the option HDD is there? if so, how plz?

tried pointing to hard drive> sata1 and it did not like that. Back to using uefi hp dvd a dh16absh

Last edited:
Should be an option to reset BIOS to defaults somewhere in one of the menus.

Not sure why you keep asking about the HDD if you're trying to boot off of a disc? ATAPI CD-ROM would be your optical drive in that boot list.

Should be an option to reset BIOS to defaults somewhere in one of the menus.

Not sure why you keep asking about the HDD if you're trying to boot off of a disc? ATAPI CD-ROM would be your optical drive in that boot list.

Lets try something different ok ?
Power down your machine, look at your hard drives and decide which one you want windows 8 to go on.
When you make up your mind, plug in that hard drive only, not the other PLEASE.
Make sure your cd drive is connected, check your disc and make sure there are no finger print, grime or dust on it.
Power on the machine, go to your bios, go to boot selection.

Atapi cd-rom will be first to load up.
Usb drives will be next incase you want to boot from a flash drive.
Next you select your hard drive, go back to the msin menu of the bios screen.
Click and save your settings, not "DISCARD" recent changes.
You have no floppy drive to use so dont bother putting it in the boot selection order.
Reboot the machine for a final time and begin the windows install.
If it does not come up, follow what your mainboard says while posting to enable the boot menu selection screen. :/

Mike i am only using 1 HD and i am only installing windows 8.1 pro. where is " go back to the msin menu of the bios screen." i DO NOT SEE IT.

thx

Mike i am only using 1 HD and i am only installing windows 8.1 pro. where is " go back to the msin menu of the bios screen." i DO NOT SEE IT.

thx

Set the CD-ROM drive as first boot. Reboot with your Win8.1 disc in to boot off of it.

thx

:I throw that machine across the room and the boot menu should come up.
Or just do what carnage and I mentioned, see you tomorrow if any. :/

this pc doesnt allow me to move the boot sequence around (hp pavilion ps-1112). other pc's i have moved them though. if you can figureit out plz leet me know.

When i am in bios with no dvd in the drive this is what i see:

UEFI boot sources
--------ATAPi cd-rom
-----------ATAPI cd-rom
-----hard drive
-----------sata1

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom