windows 7 ultimate on raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonie

In Runtime
So after much hassle with ubuntu, Ive scrapped the idea and went and gone with windows 7 ultimate.

My question,

Should I go with a software raid 0 of my 2x 120g corsair force gt ssds or use a firmware raid 0 on my ASUS z68 deluxe gen 3?

I have tried googling it but no one seems to give a definitave answer, so what are the differences between software and firmware raid? hardware raid controllers are out of the question as I am tired of spending money.

If I go firmware, I believe I am suppossed to install the drivers from the asus website during the install, from a usb, correct?

Software raid I found a guide on that so no worries.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks!

You know, you do have an option to run hardware RAID on your board. You don't need a controller card.

I would perfer hardware RAID, it's just a lot more reliable.

What are you using these SSDs for? Unless you require server-grade IOPS you won't notice any real-world difference between RAID0 and using them separately.

If you do need it, I'm personally curious what for :)

And less stressful on the cpu correct? All at the cost of 5 sec increase in boot times because of the menue which I dont care about.

So use the firmware raid 0 on my board you say?

edit:

I am using them for the OS, basically all programs and applications. all other data which I dont want instant access to will go on a 2tb wd drive.

Since I already bought them seperately why not? I wouldnt mind doubling sequential read and write

Hardware RAID doesn't tax the operating system because the actual controller processes the Array. Software RAID uses your OS resources because the OS and processor on your system is actually doing the work.

Awesome, definately going with my onboard raid controller then.

I am installing right now 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom