Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

When you force it to close it will give the same prompt from Vista. "Windows is trying to resolve...."

Just click cancel and it goes away instantly. So it is about the same as Vista. I have seen that if a app crashes in Win7 you recognize it faster as does Windows.

with Vista ultimate x64, i do have sometimes have hangs that dont go away instantly when cancled. oftentimes i wont even see a prompt that its not responding, the app will just sit there forever.

i've seen quite a few forums of posters not under NDA mentioning things and overall its benchmarks are an improvement and so is mem usage, but for the price i do hope at least they offer better ways to get things done and i hope indexing is better, i still have trouble finding some things with search 4.0 if i dont index everything but uses too much resources.

With the Indexing if you let it go and index everything up front right away, yeah it slows down the PC for a while. But after it is indexed you will notice a improvement in the speed of your searches.

Sadly i dont have indexing on cause i know where all my files are. ;)

There are many things that have been talked about. From the new boot partition, to the new ways UAC will work. But i cant give major details. Some of the info given is correct while other info i have seen isnt.

Windows 7 to Bundle Popular Video Codecs

Given I'm not a Macintosh user, I'm unsure of this situation on that platform, but I think for the most part, many people well-understand how things go down with a fresh Windows installation. Once the OS is installed, the quest for normality is far from over. We'll need to go online and download a variety of patches, updated drivers, and if you plan to watch videos, a robust player and some codecs. With Windows 7, Microsoft hopes to take some of the hassle out of the video issue for people, by including a few of the most common codecs within.
Included will be DivX support, which is great given so much of the web offers downloadable videos in that format. In addition, H.264 and AAC audio will also be supported, meaning most high-definition downloadable video will be good to go right away. With these additions, will we also see Adobe Flash built-in? Not surprisingly, no. Bundling that would cause a conflict of interest, given Microsoft develops a competing technology (Silverlight).
These additions do a good job of making Windows 7 look even better though. When Vista came to launch, the vast majority of people were skeptical, and not really too excited. Windows 7 is a stark contrast, with clear excitement being seen all over the Internet. As we did with the Vista launch, we'll be sure to cover 7 as we get a little bit closer to launch, taking a look at things from both a performance and usability perspective.
windows_7_beta_build_010409.jpg
The ability to play back these additional formats has implications for new Windows 7 services like libraries and networked media player support, as Windows 7 users can index and search across their iTunes media without needing to use iTunes as the default player, and can send a wider variety of media content to a centralized location.

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program

For each eligible upgrade path, all available upgrade versions for a Qualifying Product (e.g., language-specific versions, territory-specific versions, 32 bit/64 bit platform) will be supported. The upgrade media will be product version-specific and must correspond to the Qualifying Product Version.
Qualifying Product Version
Upgrade Software Version
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows 7 Ultimate

Additional Upgrade Path Restrictions :
  • A language version of the qualifying Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the same language version of the Windows 7 upgrade software.
  • The Windows Vista product can only be upgraded to the associated edition of the upgrade software. For example, Windows Vista Home Premium K edition can only be upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium K edition.
  • OEMs must ship media as defined in these permitted upgrade paths. No other upgrade paths are available and supported under the Program.
  • If an end user attempts to upgrade to an unsupported upgrade path, the end user may have to re-format the PC hard drive and/or may lose applications, files and settings available with the previous installed version of Windows. For example, the following upgrades are not allowed in the program :
    - Upgrades from Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Starter
    -
    Upgrades from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate
    -
    Upgrades from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Ultimate
Tech ARP - The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program

Microsoft: Windows 7 not a lock for '09

It's not clear whether Microsoft is just trying to be overly cautious, but top Windows executive Bill Veghte said the company is telling PC makers that Windows 7 might or might not be ready in time for this year's holiday season.

"I'm telling them that it could go either way," Veghte told CNET News in an interview Wednesday. "We will ship it when the quality is right, and earlier is always better, but not at the cost of ecosystem support and not at the cost of quality.

Veghte also said that the economy is factoring into his marketing plans for Windows, which is in the middle of an advertising push initially estimated at several hundred million dollars over several years.

"Given the economic situation, as shareholders would expect us to tighten our belt, but with the things that are most important, and customers would expect us to do that while continuing to innovate," he said. "The expectation is that the dollar we spend on advertising today will go further than it did in July...and the Windows business is pretty core to Microsoft, it's core to the Microsoft brand, so we will continue to invest in support of Windows."

Asked whether he thought the same applied to the unit's staffing level, he said Windows is core to the success of the company," but added that he's "certainly looking at how we can be more efficient, and given the mission in our advertising spending that we just talked about, efficient in where we apply our headcount and efficient, but not at the risk of jeopardizing the opportunity that we have."

Source: WinBeta | CNet

Its a Beta. There is no accurate way to compare. Win7 shuts down fast. About the same as it did for XP and for Vista for me.

If you want to start up and shutdown quick there are loads of tweak guides on the net in basic the less programs/services that are loaded with the startup the shorter the time. You can go into the registry and adjust settings there aswell so that program conflicts are automatically killed which was an annoyance with xp.

Back
Top Bottom