Windows 7 Cannot Update

Epifire

Baseband Member
Hey guys, had a random problem come up after not having been able to use my computer for over a month. I had to replace a cooling unit, which took longer than I would like but strangely Windows wasn't able to update when I got back online.

It gives me this when I try and update...
Code:
error code 80072ee2

However one strange thing is it was able to acquire one update before this happened.

Code:
Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.8.204.0 (KB3063917)

Installation date: ‎6/‎19/‎2015 7:28 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Outside of that I just keep seeing a red icon popping up in my Action Center constantly informing me that I'm not able to update. I'm sorry if unable to provide more info than that, but I'm still in the dark at this point. I've been having to sort out some other various problems like sound drivers, and really quirky things since coming back online. Beginning to wonder if there's something more wrong than just having needed to replace a cooling unit. :annoyed:

Well I've tried getting through the suggestions there, to little avail. I will also note that since I brought my PC back online, besides this specific issue there have been other network problems that may be linked to the same thing.

For instance the majority of webpages have difficult times loading (or not at all) when I used to be able to load them almost instantly. That as well as multiplayer games reporting "unable to connect to server". Since this all happened after I moved I'm having theories about my new network provider Centurylink. All this seems to have occurred after the move and migrating over to their network. My reasoning on why it's the network, is that I seem to have roughly the same result when trying to access the network on my other machines.

I've tried running virus/anti-malware checks in safe mode but that came back fine. I will point out that I am also on a hard wired connection, to rule out this being a wireless connectivity problem. At this point all I can theorize is that it's something to do with settings on my machines, or this router. I'm banking on the router though since I can't even log into it without my page failing to load (go figure).

Do you have both a router and a modem? If so, try bypassing your router and plug directly into the modem and see if you still have issues.

Sounds like an ethernet driver issue to me. Try uninstalling your ethernet drivers/device through device manager (but download the correct ones first for your machine as once your drivers are uninstalled you obviously won't be able to connect to the internet). After rebooting your PC, install the drivers for your ethernet device again and I suspect this will solve your issue.

Well I've tried getting through the suggestions there, to little avail. I will also note that since I brought my PC back online, besides this specific issue there have been other network problems that may be linked to the same thing.

For instance the majority of webpages have difficult times loading (or not at all) when I used to be able to load them almost instantly. That as well as multiplayer games reporting "unable to connect to server". Since this all happened after I moved I'm having theories about my new network provider Centurylink. All this seems to have occurred after the move and migrating over to their network. My reasoning on why it's the network, is that I seem to have roughly the same result when trying to access the network on my other machines.

I would agree with your theory of network issues. If it was the Ethernet card, then it would only be one machine having issues. Like carnage said, bypass your router and test again. If you have issues still, contact Centurylink. If you don't, reset your router to factory and set it up again. If that doesn't work, new router time!

Alright, so I've tried reloading the drivers (though it already says they were up to date?). Otherwise I wanted to try bypassing the router, though this really isn't my most knowledgeable area. From what I can gather in this place, the router is just plugged (via DSL cable) into a wall outlet that was updated to run with this router. Now I'd try plugging directly into that but I don't have any kind of converter (to go from Ethernet to DSL).

I've already taken a pin and pressed the small recessed reset button. That didn't seem to make a difference though. I feel like I just might be missing something but I swear it's the network, since this all just started happening after I moved. Something else to note (may or may not be anything worth mentioning). Most if not all my applications that load a page, continue to do so nonstop. Whether it's a browser or Steam, it's like there's just something missing that the system keeps trying to update almost like it's restricted or blocked.

I may continue to try and log into this router's settings to see if there's a way to reset it's internal presets. For a while I know there used to be some IP blocking enabled on it (with who knows what else). So I'm gonna try and follow that up and maybe call the provider today.

If you have DSL and there is only a single box connected to the phone cord, then you will not be able to bypass the router as it is a router/modem combo (aka gateway). Chances are that you own that gateway and the only way to test will be to purchase another gateway and get it setup and connected.

Is this the same gateway from when you live at the other location? Or is it new?

Back
Top Bottom