Windows 7 64-bit v. 32-bit

soul_man

Baseband Member
I am going to build a new machine with an i7 6 core processor. My current system has Windows 7 (upgraded from XP). When I first built that system I put a 64 bit OS (Vista :sleep:) but as I recall I had a lot of issues getting hardware/drivers for some of my hardware to work (scanner, cameras etc).
I wound up running a dual boot system for a while, and I don't want to have to deal with that.

Searching on here indicates 64 bit can utilize more RAM, and I am getting 16GB (for video rendering) so I think I would I need to go 64 bit?

Is there compatibility problems, or will a 64 bit system run 32 bit programs and be backwards compatible with older hardware?

I found this in a search as a compatibility test for Win 7 (not sure if that will check 32/64 bit compatibility?) Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center I will run that on my old system when I get home, but since I'm already running Windows 7 (32 bit) I'm not sure it will help.

Yes you'll want to swtich to 64bit.

No, you shouldn't have any issues with drivers or anything like that because component/driver manufacturers actually made drivers for Win7 x64.

For the most part Win7 x64 should work - the 16bit and older applications won't work since 64bit dropped support for that, but it will be fine with 32bit applications.

As long as your CPU is 64bit (pretty much every CPU as of Pentium 4's), you'll be fine.

Also, just an FYI...if you want to switch your current install over you can use the same key. Since Vista, the activation keys are cross-architecture and will work for both 32bit/64bit versions of Windows. You can still only have it activated on 1 machine, but you can switch the architecture over (keep in mind you'd still have to reformat).

I'll add, get your Windows ISO and make a bootable USB Windows install. What kind of hardware are you wanting to put in this new machine that you're worried about having compatibility issues with?

If your hardware is older, I can see that you might have driver issues but if a mfr provided Win 7 32-bit drivers then it would follow that they would also provide Win 7 64-bit drivers. If you can't find Win 7 drivers for your hardware you can try using Vista drivers as they are generally compatible with Win 7.

He's talking in relation to possibly having issues on his new machine. That's why I asked if he'll be putting any older hardware on his new machine. He mentioned his current system because he was saying he had issues on that one when trying 64bit Vista before. If he's talking about putting 64bit on his older machine again he needed to be a bit more clear.

I am going to build a new machine with an i7 6 core processor. My current system has Windows 7 (upgraded from XP). When I first built that system I put a 64 bit OS (Vista :sleep:) but as I recall I had a lot of issues getting hardware/drivers for some of my hardware to work (scanner, cameras etc).

I found this in a search as a compatibility test for Win 7 (not sure if that will check 32/64 bit compatibility?) Download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from Official Microsoft Download Center I will run that on my old system when I get home, but since I'm already running Windows 7 (32 bit) I'm not sure it will help.

Download the advisor if you havent yet and run it.
When its done it will tell you what is and whats not going to work.
If you are still unsure of that look up that hardware or software name to make sure it works.
Here is an example: https://www.google.com/search?q=HP+...audigy+2+zs+compatible+with+windows+7+64bit+?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/344274-28-will-sound-blaster-audigy-work-computer

Always run a search on google or bing for questions like this.
If it still doesn't make sense or the problem is unanswered ask here.

Sorry, my account was held up temporarily.

As PP Mguire stated, this will be for a totally new build.

The hardware I was worried about is external, things like a scanner, GPS etc. All of it runs on my current 32 bit Windows 7, so I hope there will be drivers for the 64 bit. Some of those are old (my scanner and GPS are around 8 years old).

I think my biggest worry was software (Corel Draw, Office 2010, and other random programs that I use). It seems that 64 bit Windows 7 should operate the 32 bit versions, so I feel better about that.

My concerns stem from my original Vista 64 bit install years ago, but I think the problems I had with compatability were from Vista more so than the 64/32bit.

I'll install the 64 bit :)

thanks for all the replies and help!

Last edited:
The biggest issue with Vista 64bit was that when it came out everything was made for the XP kernel, and everything was basically strictly 32bit (because XP x64 was ****). So when Vista came out people wanted to move to 4GB of RAM (because it was a resource hog) and 64bit and nobody was making drivers fast enough for the initial release.

That's kindof a nonissue now. If you could find Vista 64bit drives for those devices now odds have it they have 7 64bit drivers and sometimes you can use Vista 64bit drivers in 7.

Back
Top Bottom