Windows 10 update

1etherer

Fully Optimized
I wanted peoples thoughts on Windows 10 so far and if its going to tick all the boxes for businesses now.

Also they are saying its a free upgrade for the first year and my Manager pointed out he thinks its because it will become subscription based after and implement office 360, after all MS are saying they see Win10 as a service now..

Microsoft already debunked the sub based scheme.

I haven't tested 10 further than the TP in a VM. Was hoping for a beta or at least a consumer preview.

I wanted peoples thoughts on Windows 10 so far and if its going to tick all the boxes for businesses now.

Also they are saying its a free upgrade for the first year and my Manager pointed out he thinks its because it will become subscription based after and implement office 360, after all MS are saying they see Win10 as a service now..
Like PP said, it's not going to be a sub. It's similar with what they did with Win8 when it first released where it was $15 for an upgrade for the first year or so, then had to pay more for the upgrade after that. Same deal with Win10...but they're offering it for free - IMO it's so they can try to get as many people off of Win7 so that it doesn't turn into another XP, and keep their userbase from fragmenting too much. That way they can focus more on Win10 updates/development instead of Win7+Win8+Win8.1+Win10 (though a lot of it can be shared, new features would only be available to Win10).

Microsoft already debunked the sub based scheme.

I haven't tested 10 further than the TP in a VM. Was hoping for a beta or at least a consumer preview.

Pretty sure the Consumer Preview is supposed to be out really soon. Can't remember what date I saw, but I think it's closer to the end of this month.

But do you all think it will work in the business world.. 8.1 was a massive flop! i only know 1 company who rolled out 8.1 and this happened last May lol.

But do you all think it will work in the business world.. 8.1 was a massive flop! i only know 1 company who rolled out 8.1 and this happened last May lol.

Businesses don't like to upgrade anyway because it requires massive funds to replace the OS on X number of systems if they're a large business. They don't like replacing anything until it absolutely positively has to be replaced - that's why places were on XP for so long, and took forever to adopt Win7 as a standard. Win7 in a business environment will stay quite a while because they usually have extended support contracts, passed the consumer life of a product. After the extended support for businesses is up, they'll move onto the next OS.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended on 1/13/15.
Windows 7 is now in extended support until 4/1/20
Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search
Yeah my company just got rid of all XP machines this month. We now are on 7 all the way lol
Not the best timing on your company's part.............
Might be best to wait till later this year (6 months?) to get the most time of support for the company's operating system (Windows 10)

Last edited:
Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended on 1/13/15.
Windows 7 is now in extended support until 4/1/20
Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Not the best timing on your company's part.............
Might be best to wait till later this year (6 months?) to get the most time of support for the company's operating system (Windows 10)

Yeah... Unfortunately that decision is always made by my boss who can be very stubborn because he's been with the company from the start and "knows best" and if he doesn't find a good enough argument, then he'll say no. Also I try not to **** him off lol

Yeah... Unfortunately that decision is always made by my boss who can be very stubborn because he's been with the company from the start and "knows best" and if he doesn't find a good enough argument, then he'll say no. Also I try not to **** him off lol
I understand where your coming from, just seems foolish to invest in Windows 7 at this stage. Waiting for several more months could've gotten twice as much time on the OS before extended support ends

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom