Window audio device - fails to save settings

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK -this has been happening for a while and I am finally going to try to fix it. I got the "man cave" done and I move my 50 inch plasma, the PS3, the Direct TV, and the gaming PC and the 5.1 AVS with decent high end speakers into my new room. Connection are all HDMI out of GPU /PS3 ( blue ray player)/Direct TV/ to AVS, then HDMI out of AVS to Plasma TV.

Here my issue. every time I reboot the PC the default 2.0/16 bit settings come up and I have to reconfigure all the speakers,etc - which are not even- left channel is much louder than right, center channel is even louder than left. If I use Direct TV or the PS3 blue ray the loudness/balance is correct. SO, what the hell is up with the PC on audio?

I have the latest catalyst drivers, I have Realtek Drivers as well. Sometimes the settings go back to the 2.0/ 16 bit default settings even without reboot if the PC is not used for a while.

Not a big deal - just frustrated.

Audio devices drivers in PC currently - I have three:

1) AMD high definition audio
2) INTEl (R) display audio - 6/19/2012 version 6.14.0.3097
3) Realtek high definition audio- version 6.0.1.6559

if it matters - MOBO-= Asrock Z77 extreme4

Last edited:
Disable intel audio through control panel and sound management.
Let the realtek hd audio control your sounds from your devices.
To me it sounds like you have too many audio connections to your computer.
Thats partly why windows will reset the audio settings.
Put your audio on 5.1, put sound effects on living room and put the environment on party.
Work with the volume levels on the speakers so it isn't booming all throughout the house.
>_> reminds me of why my current speaker sets vibrate a 2 story house even on semi low settings

OK - found the Realtek HD audio Management in the control panel and set it to 5.1 - I do not find a way to disable the Intel in the control panel. So, I went into the system properties and disabled the Intel driver there. We will see if that does it.

I only have one Audio "connection" to the PC - that is a HDMI out of the GPU to the AVS receiver. Still doesn't explain the terrible discrepancies in the balance between right and left and center channels. But, if I can set the channel levels individually in the Advanced Properties area and it stays where I put it- that is good enough for me.

Thank you - will update later today after reboot ,etc. BUT all seems to work so far.

Should I bother with updating to the newer version of the Realtek driver - the newest is for 2014 = 3 years newer. It has to decode and sound better. But, if not for my MOBO or Win7 it may :break: something.

Last edited:
Should I bother with updating to the newer version of the Realtek driver - the newest is for 2014 = 3 years newer. It has to decode and sound better. But, if not for my MOBO or Win7 it may :break: something.

Would be a good idea to update the driver then, especially if it's 3 years out of date. Your balance issue could be due to a buggy driver - never know ;).

Ok - will try that later- It already sounds better - listening to youtube some older stuff like Jackson Brown Acoustical , etc. and it w sounds clear and smooth like it should. The balance corrected by about 25% - so I would guess it is driver issue. Windows auto detect update driver says I have the latest driver- which is total BS. I think the latest win7 64 bit Realtek driver is called 2.75 - so will attempt that today later on. Should I just try to install the new driver over old driver - or should I delete the old driver first then install the new one?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

or

http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64

Ok - will try that later- It already sounds better - listening to youtube some older stuff like Jackson Brown Acoustical , etc. and it w sounds clear and smooth like it should. The balance corrected by about 25% - so I would guess it is driver issue. Windows auto detect update driver says I have the latest driver- which is total BS. I think the latest win7 64 bit Realtek driver is called 2.75 - so will attempt that today later on. Should I just try to install the new driver over old driver - or should I delete the old driver first then install the new one?

Realtek

or

http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64

Don't use Windows built-in driver update through Device Manager - it's only going to get the "latest" from the MS servers, not the actual hardware manufacturer.

Get it from Realtek - you can just install it over top of the old one, should be fine.

I use ASIO and Windows low latency ASIO drivers for some audio recording I do and every time I switch between drivers all of the settings reset. It could be a driver switching issue too. Once you update the driver and get everything straight try not changing the driver and see if you have more consistency.

ok -new Realtek drivers downloaded and installed successfully- sounds good. But the balance channel issue still exists. BUT , if it holds to the level setting i manually put it at- I am fine with that. Wonder if it is my MOBO or the GPU/HDMI output.. Does not matter if the setting hold - I am golden.

I use a nircmd script to switch between default audio devices but you can also use it to set system volume levels. If all else fails you could write a simple script with the commands to set volume levels so every time you restart you just click a quick button and its fixed. (maybe)

Heres a good tutorial for wrting easy scripts with the nircmd tool.

Last edited:
ok -new Realtek drivers downloaded and installed successfully- sounds good. But the balance channel issue still exists. BUT , if it holds to the level setting i manually put it at- I am fine with that. Wonder if it is my MOBO or the GPU/HDMI output.. Does not matter if the setting hold - I am golden.

Honestly that would be related to the video card itself.
When you install your video card drivers there is an option for its own sound output.
With Nvidia or ATI I disable that during the install so it won't try to automatically control my sound controls. :/
Let realtek control it and get it where you have it right.
Also if you use k-lite code pack some encoders and what not will try to do the same.
Just know which encoders decoders you like best configure it to your main sound card settings and keep the volume normalized.
Been doing it this way for 3 years now and don't have any grief not unless the registry gets jacked up. :/

Back
Top Bottom