win 7

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i am currently running windows 10, but i have not purchased it yet. before i do, i would like to try windows 7. do i have to remove windows 10 before i install windows 7 ?

actually, the virtual machine idea has played around in my head for about a year now. since i first heard about it. the fact that Microsoft actually gives us the software to do it is amazing. so how do i switch back and fourth between the virtual machine, and my normal computer? oh, i have not used IE for a LONG time. what version is the current standard? i want to know for reference. i am assuming that at least one version is a trial version for future release.?

so how do i switch back and fourth between the virtual machine, and my normal computer?
You switch back and forth just like you would between, say, your browser and your email program.

oh, i have not used IE for a LONG time. what version is the current standard? i want to know for reference.
The current version of IE is now a completely new browser called Edge, though I think it's only on Windows 10. If you want to know the actual latest version of IE I suggest you Google it :p

well, that was a waste of an hour. i must have screwed something up, because the virtual machine would not open or run. it looked to me like it was set up to run on a machine with windows 7 already installed. but i dont know. i am about ready to go out to the garage, get my BIG magnet, and run it across this drive in hopes of erasing everything on it. i tried last night to wipe the drive clean, but it will not let me format the c: drive. i guess i can remove the hard drive from my machine, install it in my daughters, and format the drive that way.

well, that was a waste of an hour. i must have screwed something up, because the virtual machine would not open or run. it looked to me like it was set up to run on a machine with windows 7 already installed. but i dont know. i am about ready to go out to the garage, get my BIG magnet, and run it across this drive in hopes of erasing everything on it. i tried last night to wipe the drive clean, but it will not let me format the c: drive. i guess i can remove the hard drive from my machine, install it in my daughters, and format the drive that way.

The VM client OS (the OS running inside the VM) doesn't care what the Host OS is (the OS that is running the actual VM software), and vice versa.

Were you trying to format C: within Windows? If so...can't do that. Have to use a 3rd party tool (such as GParted) or from the Windows install disc during setup.

this "learning process" gets pretty frustrating at times. there are points where my temper says "hook it to the welder and see how it likes that!" . but i know the consequences. so i just have to get up, walk away, and find something else to do while my temper cools off. when i was young, and my body wasn't destroyed, i would go out and chop a tree down with an axe. but about 3 whacks with an axe now and i would be in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. and most likely back surgery. i pretty much knew i couldn't format the hard drive i was using. the thought has crossed my mind about installing the old hard drive back into this computer, so i can do odd, off the wall things. the problem with that is then i will have to buy 2 operating systems. of course, the beauty of it is i could basically have 2 computers in one. which is kind of what i was expecting from the virtual machine. but i could not figure out how to make it work.

There shouldn't be much to getting it to work, really. What kind of issues were you having, exactly?

Back
Top Bottom