Win 7 Firewall

cowboy

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm running Win 7 64 bit.
On a Dell machine, came with Mcafee firewall.

It looks like the Win firewall is off due to the Mcafee being on ?
i.e., when I look at the firewall section under Control panel it tells me the FW is being managed by Mcafee....

Questions,
should I stick with the Mc FW (in the past I haven't heard good things about Mc)
If I decide to use the Win FW, how do I turn it on ?
(ive looked around and it appears that since the Mc FW is on it won't let me do that)
I'm guessing that I will have to uninstall the Mc and then turn on the Win FW

Yes, only 1 firewall can be on at a time (you shouldn't run multiple firewalls at the same time even if you could enable both - it could cause stability issues).

I would recommend against using McAfee, as it's not a very good product. You can get better free antivirus as well. BitDefender Free is one of the better ones nowadays; Avira and Avast are also both good.

You can check out performance of the various AV's here: AV-Comparatives Summary-Report » AV-Comparatives

They're a 3rd party AV reviewing/testing site that aren't sponsored by any AV companies.

Google "Mcafee Removal Tool" and use that to get rid of Mcafee and use one of the AV suites recommended by carnageX.

Enable Windows Firewall by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall.

So should I use the Uninstall or the Mcfee uninstall via their website, or whatever I get via the Google query ?

Do you distinguish between a FW and AV/Spyware tools ?

Thanks

I plan on removing the Mcfee (just haven't heard much good about them over the yrs ...)
Is my only option for FW, Windows or are there better FW's that I could use ?

IMO a software firewall isn't that useful, unless you're that worried about it. I used to use ZoneAlarm... and it was kind of annoying/intrusive. Then I switched to Comodo FIrewall... and then I decided I'd just try Windows Firewall... and I haven't had any issues.

If you're really worried about having a good firewall, then don't get a software FW. Get a Hardware Firewall that goes in-line between your modem / router. That would give you the best protection, because then the intrusion hasn't even touched your network before it gets blocked.

Thanks.

this brings up a question I mentioned elsewhere, there is a difference between a FW and a
spyware/malware software tool.

Sound like I'll just go with the Win FW, for now and then look for a spyware tool, any recommendations.

Yes, there's a difference. While they can do a few similar things, FW's are usually proactive, whereas spyware/malware removal is reactive. Or rather: firewalls are there to prevent nasties from getting in, or spreading to other systems over the network. Antispyware/malware is usually there to clean up once a system is already infected, or has already gotten through onto the system.

As for spyware tools.. I like Malwarebytes Antimalware for removal. I combine that with TDSSKiller, CCleaner, HiJackThis, and if the infection is bad, ComboFix.

Also take note that if your using a router, it too has a hardware firewall built in. So with the combination with the windows firewall, you should be o.k.

Back
Top Bottom