In Runtime
My computer has:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP, 1342 MHz (13.5 x 99) 1500+
(1.3 GHz)

Mobo: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400

RAM: 256 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Video card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
(32mb) (DirectX v6.0)

Disk Drive (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Of course, I am going to get a better video card. Any suggestions? I do not plan to go over $150

I am also going to upgrade my ram to 512mb

I am not going to get a new CPU, if I have to do that I will wait intell my next computer.

and I already own HL2

I will be thankful for any information. :)

It should play if you get, say, a 6600GT or something. Then you'll have above the minimum requirements.

Id be amazed if it ran. For starters, id upgrade to 512 MB of RAM, at least, and upgrade to a low level Radeon card (HL2 is ATI biased - i know Nvidia dominated this round)

It will run with 256MB RAM, as long as you don't have any other software chewing up RAM.

1.) not enough ram...you will need at LEAST 1 gb of ram, my friends with less than 512 have problems running this game, even with a decent CPU; with that outdated CPU, you'll need 1 gig for sure, putting you at $80
2.) you need a new gfx card...a 6600GT is minimal if you're upgrading, and the CHEAPEST you can find them for now, is $160, which is very cheap

putting you at $240 at LEAST

and when you update your computer, you'll probably want to go PCI-E, which means that if you buy a gfx card now, it won't work if you get a PCI-E computer

there's no point for you to upgrade if you don't have the money

No offense but your computer seems to be a bit dated. Like diablo said, you will need to majorly upgrade to play this at even minimal speeds and if you are going to bother with $170 on a 6600GT, you had better get PCI-E because it runs faster and smoother than the AGP. But seeing your current setup I highly doubt your Mobo supports PCI-E. If I were you I would save the upgrade money and save some more until you can buy a new setup (which you can actually do for a fairly cheap price at www.newegg.com). I would not waste $$$ on upgrades that may or may not make HL2 run.

To sum it all up: I would wait until I had the money for a new setup if I were you. Even if the game runs with upgrades it still will not run very good (at least from a SPECS point of view).-
::-Chase-::

Chase said:
But seeing your current setup I highly doubt your Mobo supports PCI-E.

No my mobo doesn't support PCI-E.

I was worried because I read (somewere from this site)
that HL2 was prop. going to be taken off the shelves.

I can download it from steam but if they take hl2 off I dont know if thay will leave the download on.

And I still have the disks

Your CPU is well out of date, I tried running HL2 on my old 1.3ghz machine and it takes incredible amounts of time to load, even with all details on low. Getting a new graphics card won't help much, your cpu is holding it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom