Wifi Range Extenders or no?

cyclones

In Runtime
Hey all, we are soon moving into a new town home. The contractors wired the 1st floor where the modem with go and also for TV. They didn't install any Ethernet jacks in the rooms because it causes "signal interference". My question is.. What is the best option to get wireless/wired connectivity to the second floor and third floor rooms? Would using a WiFi extender do the best job? I want minimal bandwidth / network loss. Thanks!

I'd say either a Power Line Ethernet like Joe suggested, or run a switch via ethernet off of your existing router upstairs, and then either get a wireless AP or router put in bridge/AP mode and hook off of that. Will get you minimal signal/speed loss hardwiring things. You'll then have ethernet jacks you can plug into as well (though only at 1 point upstairs - if you want them throughout the house, either wire 'em up yourself or go with a Power Line Ethernet adapter).

cyclones "They didn't install any Ethernet jacks in the rooms because it causes "signal interference"

Was this your thinking or the contractors? Unless you run the cat5/6 AROUND an electrical wire, there is very little in the way of any interference.

Whow do you think larger company's get there networks to work? An average 2 story office building has at a miniam 2 miles of cat5/6 ran thru out the building.

The average 2000 sg ft home, even with outlets on every wall, will only have +/-2100 ft of cable.

You did yourself a disservice by not running cable.

Now, with all that, a single power line adapter with the main connected to the router/switch and the other unit up stairs, place in good location, and then once it is connected and you can get the internet, get another router with wireless and connect to the power adapter.

That's what the ISP installed said because I asked to have a Coax/Ethernet jack in each one of the rooms and they said they didn't do that anywhere because of interface it may cause with the other units.. Keep in mind this is a new 3-level town home building. I however purchased a pair of the TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT and going to try and see how that works. I was planning to then connect the other end on the second story in my room which then i would hook up a router & switch and also have my other room-mate bridge the wireless to his room.

nope... the ISP won't install any kind of cable runs like that. They usually only supply one line in to the house. You should have had an electrician wire the rooms during the construction phase. You can probably still get an electrician to run the coax/cat5 lines but it's going to cost a lot more after the drywall is up. If your really handy, have some really long fish tapes and drills you might be able to do it yourself.

Sounds like the set up you have will work for you

Back
Top Bottom