Not open for further replies.

Bryansrt

Solid State Member
OK, this is my setup...

XP PRO on all PC's
Linksys 802.11G Router & Cards
3 Box's
1 Laptop (vaio)

I have 1 PC with all of my media on it named "server". The media is on a slave HDD in this PC "E:". I have all of the My Documents folders on every PC on my LAN pointing to this drive.

This setup works great for keeping organized and having universal access to my files.

What I want to do:

I want to use my Laptop as a remote to control the media player on my "server". I would loke to add songs, videos, etc to the playlist on the server from my laptop and control it as well. I have tried terminial services & Citrix but those programs do the opposite of what I want.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Would you be talking about manipulating a playlist file or something? You can do that from any remote station as long as you have connectivity. Playlist files are just a pointer file, that you can add to as you see fit. The only thing you have to do it refresh the file on the player, otherwise the data isn't updated.

What I don't understand is how using terminal Services and Citrix are doing the opposite of what you want. Seems like they would be great for doing what you are wanting.
If the problem is logging in under a different account, then try keeping one account logged on and only access the remote machine via that login. That way you are not kicking your self off and loosing the media.
Just a few thoughts.

goto newegg.com . buy remote control hardware, works same as a tv remote. otherwise use winXP pro remote desktop. if you do not have winxp pro get pcAnywhere 11, you should be able to find this for under $15.

For free Remote control software check out "Ultra VNC" on a google search... its free and works great. (better than PCAnywhere 11 if you ask me)

Why cant you just open your windows media player and piont it back to your "server" for the files you wanna play? or do a "search for media" and point back to your server?

Thanks for the responses.

I am going to check out those links!

The problem I have is when I remotely connect to the PC "server" where the media is it will play on the PC I am at. I want it to play on the other machine.

When I open a terminial services window and log on under Administrator is brings the Desktop/Programs from the server to my laptop. I can use the server but it still plays on the laptop.

Bryansrt said:
Thanks for the responses.

I am going to check out those links!

The problem I have is when I remotely connect to the PC "server" where the media is it will play on the PC I am at. I want it to play on the other machine.

When I open a terminial services window and log on under Administrator is brings the Desktop/Programs from the server to my laptop. I can use the server but it still plays on the laptop.

you need a remote desktop access to access a certain software or file on your remote desktop stand alone PC. windows Xp comes wih this type of service so no need for you to purchase another software. heres how:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom