WIFI Issues. Please help.

BoddickerOCP

Beta member
So I have Comcast and a DIR-825 D link router. Lately I've been having issues with the devices connected via WIFI. The connection will drop, then reconnect about twenty-thirty seconds later. I have this issue on things like XBOX Live, cell phone, and other computers connected wirelessly. Generally my personal pc works fine, because it is hardwired. This all started happening out of the blue really. I specifically notice the issue when I'm browsing a web page on my cell, then decide to, say, switch to Youtube. The wifi will disconnect and reconnect 20 seconds later. This happens when I jump page to page. My brother has similar issues playing Xbox Live. I contacted D link support and upgraded my firmware. Apparently this didn't work because my brother experienced connection problems. His room is directly above the router fyi. I know we have a lot of connections and our cable has been split many times. We have about 9 devices connected to the network one way or another, though all are not used at the same time. Any idea what it could be? Id like some input before I call Comcast. Thanks.

Is your Comcast modum a combination of router and a WIFI unit? If it is, then disable the wifi and DHCP on the dlink and just use it as switch to feed the wired devices.

Use the Comcast modum/router as the wifi device.

Make sure the the Modum/router is at least 4 feet off the floor and you should be okey.

I have a 2400 SQ ft house 2 story with out building 20 ft away with Comcast modum/router/wifi and I can be in the out building and connect any thing I wish.

Distance from the center of out building to modum/router is 75 feet.

Is your Comcast modum a combination of router and a WIFI unit? If it is, then disable the wifi and DHCP on the dlink and just use it as switch to feed the wired devices.

Use the Comcast modum/router as the wifi device.

Make sure the the Modum/router is at least 4 feet off the floor and you should be okey.

I have a 2400 SQ ft house 2 story with out building 20 ft away with Comcast modum/router/wifi and I can be in the out building and connect any thing I wish.

Distance from the center of out building to modum/router is 75 feet.

My modem and router are separate. The modem Comcast gave me is your basic Cicso modem.

So this only happens with wireless devices, and everything was working fine before, right?

If so, then the first two possibilities I'm thinking of are interference, or the hardware starting to crap out. A good tool for checking interference is Xirrus Wifi Inspector - it'll show you the signal strength you're getting as well as the channels that other wifi networks in the area are using. However, this only detects other wifi signals, and it's possible that there's something else causing interference. The 2.4 GHz band is widely used by many different electronics. I see that your router is dual-band; are you experiencing the same issue on the 5 GHz band?

Hardware that's failing will be much more difficult to diagnose. You could try running the router's diagnostic utility if it has one. Otherwise, unless there are physical signs of a problem like extreme heat, the only way to tell is to swap routers.

Back
Top Bottom