Why is my computer slow! 18gb ram, core i7

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Was wondering if there was such thing as having too much ram. It doesn't help that I also have 80% of my 2tb hard drive filled.

No viruses or sspyware.

Thoughts?

What are some ways to pinpoint why applications are slow?
Like even the web browser, windows explorer and such are so slow.

I have windows 8 release preview.

Need to know what I have to upgrade. Just ordered a vertex 4 Ss. Hoping that would fix it. If it doesn't what would?

Typed using mobile so please excuse grammar

Well first off your using a Preview OS also know as a Beta build. Those things are not final like Windows 7 and are not optimized for everyday use. They are for testing purposes only. As it says right in the Windows 8 FAQ Page. I quote right from that page:

We strongly recommend that only experienced PC users download Windows 8 Release Preview. Before you download the preview, you should weigh the pros and cons of installing software that's still in development. If you install the preview release, you'll get to try out the many new features, but you might also encounter errors that you wouldn't encounter using a released version of Windows.

Underlined for emphasis. So if you want to take full advantage of your PC, install Windows 7 not a Beta OS. The next thing is yes, having your hard drive that full will cause adverse effects. You should get another drive and split your data up among the 2 drives.

The SSD should give it an all around "pick me up" if you will, but like Mak said, Win8 RP is all that it is. A preview. Not finished product, not optimized.

Get another hard drive. Load some data onto it. Install Win7 x64 onto your Vertex 4 and things should run much smoother.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing with your PC that you have 18GB RAM?

Hey thank you Mak! I have went ahead and installed Windows and so far so good!

The SSD should give it an all around "pick me up" if you will, but like Mak said, Win8 RP is all that it is. A preview. Not finished product, not optimized.

Get another hard drive. Load some data onto it. Install Win7 x64 onto your Vertex 4 and things should run much smoother.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly are you doing with your PC that you have 18GB RAM?

Thanks! That's exactly what I did.

I just do video editing and photo editing. I bought a 12gb (4x3) sale on Newegg for $50 so I took it and upgraded my system from 6gb.

Yeah dont ever install a Preview Build if you are looking for performance. They are called preview for a reason. They are full of bugs and flaws. But dont worry, Oct 26th is the release date. So you can get Win8 then and be right back where you are now.

Yeah dont ever install a Preview Build if you are looking for performance. They are called preview for a reason. They are full of bugs and flaws. But dont worry, Oct 26th is the release date. So you can get Win8 then and be right back where you are now.
I wouldn't say that lol. You can get Win 8 and feel like a tard.

Back
Top Bottom