Why does IE lag so far behind in html inerpretation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdrewrd

Beta member
This is a multi-part question.

I have just recently gotten into web design. Its a hobby and for the most part I usually just steal other people's code, tinker with it and then brand it as my own. I was wondering if there is an established ethic on this theft of code since you can't really protect published layouts and what not. How far should I go in crediting someone else on my page? Are there ever legal repercussions?

The next question involves IE. I only use Firefox. I love its sleek feel and lack of bulk along with many customizable features. When writing html or some other code I use FF to preview what I've done. I have spent hours working on some layout only to find that once I open it in IE it's just a garbled mess. I know that IE simply ignores certain tags, but it also treats css positioning elements differently. For the life of me I cant seem to find rhyme or reason to the difference in interpretation. Is there a good source somewhere that will explain this and how to get consistency?

Thanks!

You can most definitely protect published layouts, its called a copyright. If you steal someone else's work and then claim it as your own, not only is this extremely disrespectful and very much frowned upon, it is also illegal and you can be prosecuted for it.

However, things placed under the GNU license means it is free to modify and redistribute so long as it retains the GNU license (I think that's how it works anyway).

IE interprets things less because Microsoft tries to do everything their own way and ignores standards. IE is a crappy browser, that's life. It is a good idea to design in something that follows the standards like Firefox or Opera, and then fix the things that don't work with IE. There are various CSS hacks and such to work around problems that IE has.

IE8 will follow the same standards as Firefox 3 and Opera...

IE8 will be out before EOY. then these issues wont be there cause people should be updated to IE8. If not then there isnt much Microsoft can do cause they gave the people what they wanted. A standardized browser. If people dont use it not much else Microsoft can do.

People on IE6 deserve what they are getting. I know companies and all that junk. Blah. IE7 is out. Has been out for almost 2 years. Time to update already. IE8 will be out. These companies are the ones causing this issue.

Sorry for the rant. But it just irks me. IE6 is the worst coded POS on teh internet. No reason for it to even be on the net. Not when IE7 is out....

You can most definitely protect published layouts, its called a copyright. If you steal someone else's work and then claim it as your own, not only is this extremely disrespectful and very much frowned upon, it is also illegal and you can be prosecuted for it.

However, things placed under the GNU license means it is free to modify and redistribute so long as it retains the GNU license (I think that's how it works anyway).

IE interprets things less because Microsoft tries to do everything their own way and ignores standards. IE is a crappy browser, that's life. It is a good idea to design in something that follows the standards like Firefox or Opera, and then fix the things that don't work with IE. There are various CSS hacks and such to work around problems that IE has.

there shouldn't be anything wrong with looking at an idea and making it work for your needs. I mean, he's not stealing code is he really?

there shouldn't be anything wrong with looking at an idea and making it work for your needs. I mean, he's not stealing code is he really?

Using somebody else's code, or getting inspiration or modifying it etc, as long as the creator is fine with it, that's totally cool.

However:

Its a hobby and for the most part I usually just steal other people's code, tinker with it and then brand it as my own.

This is not fine.

Eh, I don't want to be a prude but, code is only as good as how you use it.

Bottom line, don't steal another persons idea. I am a firm believer in sharing ideas and that not one person is completely original with there idea. but, if you learn it, then you can create some thing better.

I haven't used IE in a few months besides the pop-up to check my email account. I don't find anything wrong with it beyond that. I may not use it as a main browser(I have opera and firefox) but, still, if you add 'junk' to some thing that's used to browse the internet, chances are it will slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom