where is/are the default boot loading screen file(s) located at??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, lets define the problem, I am having trouble trying to find out exactly what is wrong, and even though there are several different solutions posted, I believe that we could narrow this down farther by getting a better description.

So this is how I see the current problem, You accidentally erased the windows loading graphics from your computer. Are these the welcome screen/logon screen graphics? or the xp bar load screen? if the first is the case, look into a program, logon loader, (its the one I use), that will allow you to replace the welcome screen. once you do this and get organized again, there is a reset to default logon button, that should reset the setting to point to the correct location again. The files should be located in the c:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder, (at least on mine).

You are not providing in my opinion enough information. Does the computer currently actually boot up and run? and the graphics are just not working? or is there an error message? if so what is it?

I can see that you can access the internet at least, that's useful so that you can at least get access to files and utilities. My boot.ini file got deleted, and I wasn't able to get online to fix the problem... what a pain, anyway off topic....

Give me the information above and I'll see what I can do with it to help narrow down the problem and give a solution to it. I believe this will also help the others who have been helping as well.

If you have placed information before, but I am asking for it again, please reply with the information even if your repeating yourself.

I hope we will be able to get this problem fixed easily.

Also note that if your computer does actually work, and you are running on it, you will not be able to access system files/folders easily to just change them out. If you have another windows system running that helps, Also when you are dealing with things in the system level, be sure to change the folder view setting to see the hidden files, to not hide extensions and the important one, to not hide the protected operating system files. You can access these settings by opening up a folder, clicking Folder Options, view, then moving the ratio button under hidden files and folder to show, and then unclick the two boxes right underneath of the ratio.

I once change my default screen on my wife sony computer. I had a nice one. I then changed it to something else. I was left with an unbootable system. I could access the recovery console but I couldn't never figure out how to replace the ntskornl (it was called something link that) file, so I'd reinstalled windows

I'd already got that. I did the exact same thing that you did about 3-4 years ago. it was easier to reinstall than replace that file. if you do it the way that I told you, you would still be able to keep your document and settings

sry i yelled at u, cookie? I've decided to get an OEM of Windows XP Pro SP2. From what ive read about the difference from retail, u have to contact Microsoft to reset the product key everytime u change the mobo, this true?

as long as you tell them the right lie, they will activate it. a new mobo is one of the things that they will accept. since you got a disc, try running a repair first. that should replace the file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom