where does streaming video get stored

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I was streaming a video online but then got disconnected. I tried to find the downloaded content on my computer but havent been successful. My guess would be its in here somewhere: C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ftlc9tec.default\Cache
However the cache has 15 directories each with about 15+ subdir's so not sure where it would be.

Btw I'm in Win7 and I dont see a folder called Temp Internet Files. Does it not exist in this OS?

thanks for this!

two things:

1 / this found me a temporary internet files folder, under the windows directory. but if i goto the windows directory on its own i dont see the tif folder, and in fact even if i search for it i dont see it. why is this?

2 / i dont actually use IE i use FF. how would i duplicate these instructions in there?

Streaming Videos are not fully downloaded to your PC. They only download the "buffer" part to your PC which then gets replaced every time new content is needed. Included in that is the fact that the buffer will only be limited to the size you specify, which could be as little as 5MB or as large as 1024MB. So you will not have the full video downloaded on your PC and you will have to go back to the site and watch it via streaming methods again. This is the whole point of streaming media, that they are not stored on the local machine. If they were, then anything you streamed via Netflix, Hulu or any other paid service could be gotten for free and pirated.

OK understood. But I was searching because I wanted something 1 min in.

Where would it be stored if it is indeed saved on my computer. And what would the extension be?

Streaming Videos are not fully downloaded to your PC. They only download the "buffer" part to your PC which then gets replaced every time new content is needed. Included in that is the fact that the buffer will only be limited to the size you specify, which could be as little as 5MB or as large as 1024MB. So you will not have the full video downloaded on your PC and you will have to go back to the site and watch it via streaming methods again. This is the whole point of streaming media, that they are not stored on the local machine. If they were, then anything you streamed via Netflix, Hulu or any other paid service could be gotten for free and pirated.

Again if you were beyond the point of that 1 minute mark and on say the 4 minute mark, that thing you wanted would no longer be on your PC. It would have already been erased from your cache/temp files.

I dont know Firefox so I have no idea where it would be. Type about:config in your address bar and see where it stores.

thanks man. i typed that in but then the result has i think over 200 lines. where do i go in there?

I dont know Firefox so I have no idea where it would be. Type about:config in your address bar and see where it stores.

i would think the data is stored and processed in memory. check memory levels in task manager to confirm. as the video buffers, memory should increase.

depends on what software you use though. we can assume flash since its most popular. html5 may handle this differently.

Back
Top Bottom