What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

It's a new connector called lighting, iDevices aren't powerful enough to support an actual thunderbolt port.

What do you mean exactly ?

Jesus christ, you guys are dropping a grand on a piece of whats basically old technology, with a new fancy port and a slightly longer screen. No wonder Apple is loving that profit, especially with that little adapter thats like $30.

Old tech like the most accurate phone display ever, with the first A15 based SoC (According to Anandtech). Quite possibly the best camera, very thin.. etc. But whatever you say if it makes you feel happy :p

I am selling my 4S for $490 anyway. So the 5 is practically half price :D

Last edited:

What a dick comment.

Thunderbolt is about 3x as thick as the lightning connector, and the cable is also pretty thick, it also doesn't go in both ways, and probably uses quite a lot of power. Not to mention it's totally not suited as the primary connector for an iphone/pad due to a dock connector having to do everything.
I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted his comment, in that he knows no phone is powerful enough to support a Thunderbolt port - it just happened that the topic was on iOS phones.

Maybe you're right.

Well i've changed it now so he has chance to redeem himself :p

He's right, no handheld device is powerful enough to handle the throughput of Thunderbolt. Lightning is just a fancy word they gave to their old cable that got lipo done to it.

He's right, no handheld device is powerful enough to handle the throughput of Thunderbolt. Lightning is just a fancy word they gave to their old cable that got lipo done to it.

He probably is right, but I thought he was just taking a cheap shot at the IP5 and saying it's underpowered :p

Lightning is totally redesigned, it's not really got anything in common with the old cable. But it does basically accomplish the same task. They themselves admitted it was primarily just to have a smaller connector so they could have a smaller phone.

He probably is right, but I thought he was just taking a cheap shot at the IP5 and saying it's underpowered :p

Lightning is totally redesigned, it's not really got anything in common with the old cable. But it does basically accomplish the same task. They themselves admitted it was primarily just to have a smaller connector so they could have a smaller phone.
No, he is absolutely correct. There is no phone with enough processing power to handle it.

You just agreed with me with different words. It's a smaller connector with a fancy name. It does the EXACT same thing as the connector before it. In the Apple video they even said all it was is a cable where they took the unused connectors out.

Is that Lightning to USB adapter thing that's mandatory in the UK available here in the US? Because I have tons of USB cables from my three previous Android devices I'd like to have a use for :tongue:

No, he is absolutely correct. There is no phone with enough processing power to handle it.

You just agreed with me with different words. It's a smaller connector with a fancy name. It does the EXACT same thing as the connector before it. In the Apple video they even said all it was is a cable where they took the unused connectors out.

I dunno, i've not used it, or seen any specs for the cable. I'd be really surprised if everything was identical though. They said it was "all digital" so i'm going to assume the last one wasn't. Apparently it's got a faster data transfer rate too.

I don't really care about that though, the main things are it can't be inserted the wrong way round, it's tougher, and it's smaller.

Is that Lightning to USB adapter thing that's mandatory in the UK available here in the US? Because I have tons of USB cables from my three previous Android devices I'd like to have a use for :tongue:

Nope. I'll sell you one for $75. :)

Last edited:

I dunno, i've not used it, or seen any specs for the cable. I'd be really surprised if everything was identical though. They said it was "all digital" so i'm going to assume the last one wasn't. Apparently it's got a faster data transfer rate too.

I don't really care about that though, the main things are it can't be inserted the wrong way round, it's tougher, and it's smaller.

Well last time I checked all Apple devices were digital :YouMad:

USB transfer rate wont change due to a change in shape/size. Unless they made it USB 3.0, which I doubt.

Last I checked it was only $30 state side... You would make a great Apple Executive.

Back
Top Bottom