What You've Just Bought!

WD Blue 500GB 3D Nand M2 SSD. £70.

Very nearly clicked the buy button on a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, but reigned myself in at the last second :p It would have been nice, but I just need a bit of extra storage to keep 5 or 10 more games installed without having to revert to an HDD. I don't need a full 1TB (yet) nor the extreme performance of a 970 Pro.
Wouldn't call it extreme. Real world I feel no difference between a NVMe and SATA SSD. Installing games like ARK really make me regret not getting an 850 EVO 1TB M.2 when I had the chance.

It's one of the fastest SSDs in existence so far, comparing apples to apples wtf is extreme performance if not that smh

Bought a bunch of COB leds to test out for a horticultural project at home, if it works nicely I'll be installing a bunch of shelves and plants in the office around work to get some live/green things going :D to top it off I'll be powering it from a 160W solar panel outside that hooks up to a SLA battery. Should be fun!

It's one of the fastest SSDs in existence so far, comparing apples to apples wtf is extreme performance if not that smh

Bought a bunch of COB leds to test out for a horticultural project at home, if it works nicely I'll be installing a bunch of shelves and plants in the office around work to get some live/green things going :D to top it off I'll be powering it from a 160W solar panel outside that hooks up to a SLA battery. Should be fun!

PP level extreme performance is 8x 16TB Optane SSD's in RAID. :cool: I don't even think 16TB Optane drives exist, but meh.

Possible sarcasm aside, sequential read/write don't make up the performance of everyday tasks. QD1-4 4k random is still rather comparable to SATA SSDs available and that's where the speed we "feel" is at. When it comes to raw sequential damn right it's quick and anything above QD8 for 960 and 970 EVO/Pro they just wipe the floor. That's why I use them as cache drives in my NAS and will probably not have to upgrade those for a long long time.
Another sarcasm aside from Kman, raw performance does come from Optane. Their numbers on paper don't look that great but the latency is far better than other NVMe drives.

Nah only a lil sarcasm, just classic PP to pooh-pooh it so casually :p I do understand that everyday desktop usage isn't that different from sata devices, kman already said he doens't need that extreme perf; his workload wouldn't be enough to justify it. I'm just saying "extreme" is a relative word, the 970 is top of it's field, therefore it is one of (if not the) most extreme single SSDs you could get as a consumer/prosumer. Faster r/w, higher iops, lower latency, and a far more efficient stack - it's like saying a Telsa 3 isn't an extremely fast car because using it on an everyday commute only utilizes 20% of it's total possible power and it's therefore comparable to a camry.

In other news, bought myself a moto helmet cause I'm scootin around on a moped to practice my bike skills! It's so ****ing fun xD

Last edited:
Nah only a lil sarcasm, just classic PP to pooh-pooh it so casually :p I do understand that everyday desktop usage isn't that different from sata devices, kman already said he doens't need that extreme perf; his workload wouldn't be enough to justify it. I'm just saying "extreme" is a relative word, the 970 is top of it's field, therefore it is one of (if not the) most extreme single SSDs you could get as a consumer/prosumer. Faster r/w, higher iops, lower latency, and a far more efficient stack - it's like saying a Telsa 3 isn't an extremely fast car because using it on an everyday commute only utilizes 20% of it's total possible power and it's therefore comparable to a camry.

In other news, bought myself a moto helmet cause I'm scootin around on a moped to practice my bike skills! It's so ****ing fun xD
Well I mean there's still Optane lol.

I actually need to catch up on that front, haven't looked into Optane much at all in the last 6 months. Are they fully functional replacements for standard m2 ssds now, i.e. OS install, no extra ssd/hdd required, etc?

Bought sod all cos I'm broke this month, but paid off £800 in debt.

I have just done this my self less than two days ago. I paid £280 in debt and have left my self skint because the bottom line is I really had no choice or things would of got heated.

Got my tobacco and food shopping so that's all I'm bothered about. :p ..

I actually need to catch up on that front, haven't looked into Optane much at all in the last 6 months. Are they fully functional replacements for standard m2 ssds now, i.e. OS install, no extra ssd/hdd required, etc?
The PCI-E Optane 900s (?) are pretty reasonable as a replacement. The cards like the 750s.

Back
Top Bottom