what upgrades should i add for my computer to run the latest games

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
i have p4 2.4ghz, 533mhz bus speed , 512kb cache memory
256mb ddr266 RAM, and i have 128MB geforce fx5200.
and i have windowsxp pro with sp2
i have doom3 it runs on my machine at 640x480 with low\medium details.
and i have farcry it runs at high graphics at 1024x768 with medium details but the game freezes for seconds for every move i make.
and i have alot of new games that doesn't run good on my machine.

what uprgrades should i do for my computer to run games like farcry, doom3 and quake4 in high performance with medium/high graphics

Well your going to need to update your RAM and your video card to be able to play new games at any kind of decent settings. What your budget for the upgrade?

It might be tricky, because your CPU might bottleneck a powerful video card. Definitly upgrade to at least 512 MB of DDR 400, 1 gigabyte if possible. Scrap that 256 stick, its worthless. Definitly get a new video card. A 6600 GT should be okay and shouldnt be bottlenecked. However, we have to make sure your PSU can take it. What kind of PSU is it?

ok, if you wanna run those games, you're gonna need a new computer

ddr266 isn't gonna cut it, and if you're gonna upgrade, it'll cost you nearly as much as a new computer

maroon1 said:
first of all what is psu??

Power Supply Unit. Its a basic term, id definitly do more research before I start tinkering with the insides of my computer

You could possibly upgrade your PC, but considering most likely your PC is a pre-built (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc) you will only have a PCI slot, which you need an AGP or PCI-Express to play games. Also the RAM is slow too.

Save up money, and sell your PC to make some. Then DON'T make ANY move to buy another PC that is prebuilt again. They are fine for normal stuff (schoolwork, microsoft word, etc) but horrible for games. Hey, I'm not yelling at ya, I have a prebuilt, and have had prebuilts until I learned about PC's and such.

www.ibuypower.com is a good site that lets you "build" a computer and then you buy it. Great way to get a good PC if you don't know how to build one. If you have trouble let us know and we can "build" you one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom