What routuer should I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

denverucd

Beta member
I need a new router for my dsl internet and was thinking about getting the LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router, but then I thought about Wireless "N", what do you guys think,
Ps: I'm a computer science major and know alot about computers but This time I need help.

Thanks for your help, It will be greatly appreciated.
Brett

One thing to note. The reason it is more expensive than other routers of the same "specs" is that it has wired gigabit rather than just 10/100 which does make a difference when moving files across it to other computers.

I would say either a Linksys WRT54GL (as you mentioned) or the Netgear WGT624v3. I own the Netgear WGT624v3, and it is a pretty much rock solid router. It holds a very stable connection and the port forwarding works very well (I run a lot of server applications). However, the WRT54GL (Not WRT54G) is an open platform router with many 3rd party firmwares. That means you can add many features that would never be found on any home router, and essentially turn your $60 router into a high quality $100-$200 feature network device. I don't have a WRT54GL, but if my Netgear ever dies, I'm buying one.

While Wireless N and Gigabit LAN sound nice, you need both ends. Your PC needs a Wireless N card (most laptops have integrated Wireless G, which won't work any faster than 54mbps with any router) and almost all PC's have normal 10/100 Ethernet cards (only work up to 100mbps, no matter how nice your router is). If you have a gigabit LAN card or a wireless N card in your PC, you'll probably know about it. In that case, go with the nicer router, otherwise stick with the 10/100/Wireless-G routers.

Had my netgear 2+ years rock solid, and I second that the port forwarding is non complicated and quickly done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom