What do you think of this rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Area85Gaming

Baseband Member
Well, I have a couple weeks before I get home and first thing is first, I'm going to build another computer. This time I decided to go top-of-the-line with it. I would love to hear suggestions, but please read first.

Area 85

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz SandyBridge Quad-Core (Overclocking to around 4.5 GHz)
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing (Please don't suggest the Noctua DH-14. Well aware of it and I chose the 212 as the better cooler versus price)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 EVO (Rev 3.0) ATX LGA1155
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) DDR3-1600
HDD: Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5"
Video Card: 2x MSI Lightning Extreme GeForce GTX 580 3GB in SLI
Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower w/ 2.5" SSD compatible bay
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution 1350W ATX12V/EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG GH22NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer/Reader
Montior: LG M4210LCBA 1920x1080 42"

The main usage of this rig is going to be for hardcore gaming as well as video/graphic editing, hence, the 16GB RAM and 2600K for Hyperthreading.

The Antec DF-85 is a sick case with all the features I need, including the 2.5" SSD bay, variable fan speeds, easy-to-clean fan filters, Fleet-Release and Fleet-Swap for easier than easy drive access, leaving another 12 drive bays for all your drive needs and award winning ventilation to keep your components nice a cool.

I am willing and open to all suggestions. But please, if you suggest something, please explain why it is better other than just your personal preference or market media.

Thanks!

Everything looks good to me. Everything makes sense and I like that you're going with an ASRock board. People shy away from them all too much because they have been constantly mediocre budget boards, but the extreme4 series look really good in my eyes.

The only thing I would do differently is add a blu-ray drive. For god sakes you're spending enough money, get a blu-ray player haha.

I've been lurking around looking at cases and I really like the DF-85 for it's price and features, but decided against picking it up because it's a lot of plastic in the construction and for around $200 I want steel/aluminum in my case. Just a thing to think about. Personally I'd go with a Corsair 800D or a Lian-Li if money is little to no object in a build. but that's just my personal take, other than the case and the blu-ray it looks good to me.

Everything looks good to me. Everything makes sense and I like that you're going with an ASRock board. People shy away from them all too much because they have been constantly mediocre budget boards, but the extreme4 series look really good in my eyes.

The only thing I would do differently is add a blu-ray drive. For god sakes you're spending enough money, get a blu-ray player haha.

I've been lurking around looking at cases and I really like the DF-85 for it's price and features, but decided against picking it up because it's a lot of plastic in the construction and for around $200 I want steel/aluminum in my case. Just a thing to think about. Personally I'd go with a Corsair 800D or a Lian-Li if money is little to no object in a build. but that's just my personal take, other than the case and the blu-ray it looks good to me.

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I originally had the Corsair Obsidian 800D as the case, but shied away from it because I found the DF-85 case. Yes, it has a lot of plastic, but honestly, I'm not too worried due to I don't have kids at home (just me and the wife for now) and I have a dog, but she is small and the case will be up and out of the way.

As far as the Blu-Ray Player. True, I have put a lot of money into this rig ($3743 to be exact), but I have yet to use a Blu-Ray movie, etc. It just seems like a waste to me until Blu-Ray ends up being the only way to buy/watch movies. Most Blu-Ray Players are very inexpensive, so I may upgrade in the future.

Really? People shy away from ASRock boards? I mean true, the ASRock line-up may not have ALL the features of say the Asus Extreme IV board or some of the overly-priced, less-needed featured boards. They are great, don't get me wrong at all and I researched and studied them all pretty extensively, I just don't see the need in such a high-end board for a few added features.

Is this board great for overclocking? No, not great, but manageable. Also, the Extreme4 series is, I'd have to say, one of the best Z68 LGA1155 boards on the market. Honestly, I think people overlook ASRock because they haven't made a name for themselves like Asus, EVGA, and some of the other brands. Mediocre? No, I'd say under-estimated :D.

Anything else you might could add?

I have a few minor suggestions... Other than the Asrock... Which is a subdiuvision of Asusa btw.

You dont need 1350W A good 1kW will be plenty..

I don't think you can go 3 screens on SLI like that. SLI acts as 1 card, so I was under the impression it was only 2 outputs.
You could get a 3rd lesser card for a 3rd screen.

I really hate having my data and programs together, I'd run SSD + Fast HD for non imortant stuff + HD for data..

but at 128Gig youre probablky okay

I have a few minor suggestions... Other than the Asrock... Which is a subdiuvision of Asusa btw.

You dont need 1350W A good 1kW will be plenty..

I don't think you can go 3 screens on SLI like that. SLI acts as 1 card, so I was under the impression it was only 2 outputs.
You could get a 3rd lesser card for a 3rd screen.

I really hate having my data and programs together, I'd run SSD + Fast HD for non imortant stuff + HD for data..

but at 128Gig youre probablky okay

Patonb,

Thanks for the reply.

The 1350W I found for cheap and it is a good power supply. If you could find me a stellar 1000W with a good price tag, I would appreciate it.

I was under the impression that you only needed (2) video cards in order to run (3) screens. You hook (2) screens to one and the last screen to the other video card.

As far as the SSD. I'll be running the OS and main operations on it. The 3TB is for all my files, videos, etc. I mean granted, I don't mind looking into another HDD..I just don't know what I would use it for. Haha.

Okay, yes on how you hook it up the gpu..... But you've confused, i think, 2 things.

To run 3 or 4 monitors, youre right 2 nvidia cards are needed.

How you have it wrote, you are SLI, aka bridging the 2 580s to be 1 card for cRazY graphics, inwhich you can't hook more than 2.

If you just want 3 screens, get the gtx580, and a gt520. You can use any 2 nvidia cards in a system, with the 580 as your gaming/quality graphics, and the lesser 520, which is still 1080p, as a side screen, or even both side screens leaving the 580 to just power the main screen.
You'll save 300 bucks like this, and not even notice.

As you have 128Gig SSD, you aren't in need of saving space, so your original idea would be just fine. In the past, ssd's were 60-80Gigs, so people off loaded things like office to a secondary drive so as to not fill their super fast ssd with programs that didn't need the speed.

Whats your price for the psu? i'll look.

Edit

I like my Silverstone, heres a 1K at $195 at the egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256068

Don't get me wrong, the Enermax is a great psu, but its overkill.. you dont need 8 pci-e plugs..... Or do you? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Well I think I might stick with just a single screen and just make it bigger in that case :).

Also, the 1350W was $245, which is close to $90-100 cheaper than most well-known suggested 1100-1200W PSUs were running.

I would avoid the ASRock mobo, I just read this today.

HARDOCP - Introduction - ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Motherboard Review

Alright, I read the article. A critic picking apart the mobo. While I have to agree with him, the least you could do is suggest a better Z68 chipset LGA1155 mobo.

Alright, I added another motherboard, going back to the P67 chipset (Figured I didn't really need QuickSync) and took off the 3x monitor for one 42" monitor and saved around $300 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom