What do I need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
I know my comp specs are weak , thats obvious. My son just got Halo 1 and we adapted an xbox pad to my rig and I somehow got addicted when he wasnt playing. During heavy action scenes my screen slows down . Other than upgrading everything, what should I target first. cpu, graphics card , or ram. I will eventually upgrade all but where should I start.

When I orginally purchased Halo, I was kicking the following :-
AMD Athlon 1700, 512Mb Ram, MX420 64Mb. And I was having the same problem too. If i was using any of the guns that let off vapor, then the game chinked, and if I was in a crowd room, the game would chink again.

my suggestions :-
64mb geforce4 mx420 <--- Upgrade this guy. I was running HALO with one of those on my rig. When I boosted it to a FX5700 256Mb, there was a big difference.

256 ddr ram <---- Ideally in any games system, you would want at least 512Mb. (1Gb if you can afford / justify it)

over all, if you change your video card first.
Then upgrade your ram.

yup , graphics card and memory , cpu is good at 2 gig .

If you can get the memory with the gfx card , 256 megs isnt good for nothing , even if only upto 512 megs youll notice a huge performance diferance in all your apps , not just games.

geekster said:
So cpu is ok for now. I should upgrade graphics first and then ram ,right?

CPU is find. But I would say that your graphics card would be a first priority. I would recommend some thing around about the
- GeForce FX5700
- ATI Radeon 9600XT
- GeForce FX5900XT

Not sence in getting any thing too flash as your CPU is will not utilize it. And with your next upgrade, you will most like going to be needing to get a PCI-X video card.

Your ram is killing you, that barely runs windows. I could run halo with 384 ram gforce 3 ti 500 and a 1.2 ghz Athlon processor.

Ram and graphics. But if you upgrade the board the ram will be too slow. I recommend all at once. board,cpu, ram and graphics. the cheap temporary way is to get a good graphics card and then upgrade board, cpu, and ram when more funds come.

I would upgrade the card first to a 5700, 9550 or a 6600GT AGP (best choice)

Than you could try overcloking your CPU, probolly squeeze off 400mhz off it to make it a 2.4

Than spend 30$ on another 256 meg stick

I checked newegg and searched 256mb for 4x agp but got no hits.If I pick 4x/8x I get lots of hits. Does that mean those cards are compatible with both 4x and 8x . I bought this board with a 4x slot so I could use my existing card. I dont want to buy a card that wont work. Also my mem stick is 266mhz . How do I know if its pc2100 or pc2700 or something else.

266 is PC2100 ram.

Yes any 8x agp card will be compatible with 4x agp slots. I have ran two cards this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom