Weirdness with Static ip Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sCribes

In Runtime
I recently changed to a static ip provided by my isp. I am running a netgear wireless router, but the machine im on is hardwired to the router. I setup the ip, gateway, dns, etc.. in the router, and all my machines work fine wired or wireless.

Everything works, except for one thing. I cant access my pop3 or smtp through my provider, and i cant access there .com or .net domains (same domains the pop/smtp run off)

What did i do wrong? Seems really odd that every other website works fine.

Thanks
Joel

At first I was going to say that it might be an issue with the Pop3 and SMTP ports being closed in the router. BUT, since you can't access the site either, it could possibly be some sort of DNS issue.

Try this..... Click this link to DNS STUFF. On the far right side, top row, there is a box labeled:

DNS lookup &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Enter domain or host name ?
Look up a DNS record (A, MX, NS, SOA, etc.)

Enter the domain name of your pop3, and hit the LOOKUP button. This will give (SHOULD give) you a new page with a table on it. The table gives the IP addresses for that domain name.

Example....when searching for GOOGLE.COM, you will get the following IP addresses....

Take the IP address, and try putting that in your browser to see if you can get to it that way.

no dice.

the site is gctel.com or gctel.net. I use .com for my mail servers, but i cant access the site on either. I cant even ping the site, yet i know its up, cause i can get full access when on a dynamic ip from the school. Also, i have cat 5 run to my dads house, and he is able to get his mail, access the site, so its something in my pc i would imagine. I see cisco in your sig....you can help me!! lol Thanks

Hrm, well, they are not blocking ICMP requests, and I can ping them from my work computer. Have you tried to call the ISP to see if they can explain the problem?

I talked briefly with the network admin, since i work with him im able to contact him. He wasnt sure, and has other stuff going on so i just left it at that for now, want to try to figure it out.

I did talk to my cisco teacher today when i was in class, he said he had run into this problem once before, and thought he could help me figure it out. I left class early to go ride with a class mate, so ill probably have to wait until monday to find out how to fix it, unless someone on here can clue me to look somewhere where i havent already.

Thanks
Joel

Are you trying to access the POP3 mail server through a software email client like M$ Outlook? Or are you just simply trying to login through their homepage to access your email?

I still cant access gctel.com or gctel.net. That is where im trying to go. I can ping it, and tracert it through a webbased system, but when i do it from my machine i get dropped on the 4th hop. It appears to be getting out of my internal network, so im not sure what the problem is.

Here is online tracert

tracert gctel.com

This is my last hop before i die "66.234.112.250"

Search results for: 66.234.112.250

Federated Telephone Coop. FEDTEL (NET-66-234-112-0-1)
66.234.112.0 - 66.234.127.255
GCTEL-1 GCTEL-1 (NET-66-234-112-0-2)
66.234.112.0 - 66.234.119.255

That would obvioulsy be outside of me. If im not mistaken, this is them blocking me for some reason, or is it possible i set something up wrong?

Thanks
Joel

try to delete your route and reboot so it can find a new route.

route delete * also do a ipconfig /flushdns too. hope that helps

Techtim

Thanks for the suggestions, but still no dice. I tried what the last person said, and still nothing.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom