Weird problems regarding laptop. Help!

When you take it in to have it cleaned out, if the shop actually dis-assembles the laptop, ask them to apply some high quality thermal paste, get it cleaned out, and hopefully you will have AC soon :D.

But aside from that, still need ya to run memtest86+ overnight.

Had it cleaned out and had thermal paste added too. No idea how to tell if its high quality or not though. They weren't selling thermal paste, they just have some stock which they use on all their customers who needs it. They did took it apart and cleaned the area around the fan (heatsink right?) thoroughly. While I was there I had the RAM upgraded from 4GB to 6GB. Runs a little faster, and there is a HUGE difference in the CPU temp in the airconditioned area w/o cooling pad and the one in my apartment w/ cooling pad (20C difference):
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/kgomez4487/Forum/8minAC.png

Publisher is still giving me not responding errors sometimes, but Corel Photo Paint, Draw and Publisher with 2 projects open each at the same time is smoother but still stutters randomly (much less frequently though) even at 6GB RAM with 4GB free on boot up. Leads me to think it may be a heat+RAM problem (as to why 4GB is not enough for Draw+Publisher+PhotoPaint beats me. I would think it enough when I have no file open larger than 400mb and more than 2GB free RAM, not to mentioned I did video editing before with PD9 and it was fine). Plus running temperature range is greater, with a lower minimum. Cores maxed to 83 at first like before, but the minimum temps dropped a couple of degrees from 55-56 to 54 and 53 in area without AC.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/kgomez4487/Forum/noACareaaftercleaning.png

I'll run memtest as soon as I have a 12hr window. I'm looking at this weekend, maybe Saturday as my schedule is free by them with no stuff to do either later at night or early morning, so I can leave the laptop be for more than 12hrs overnight.

What about graphics chip? I had a "display driver stopped working but recovered" error just as I turned on the computer getting home from the shop. Its an ATI chip. Is there a diagnostic for it I can run that takes less than 5hrs?

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Glad to hear it's running a little bit better at least.

As for the graphics card, not much you can do other than stress test it a bit.

You can try uninstalling the drivers / CCC, and then reinstall the newest ones from AMD's website.

One question, is it really 12hrs minimum for memtest even if the laptop rarely if ever runs for more than 10hrs straight in normal usage? I'm running it right now and is just going to set an alarm for it. :D

Its not exactly a power supply thing as opposed to me rather averse to the idea of leaving my laptop running for 12hrs straight on a particularly warm summer evening in the tropics. Lol. Some people say that 5 passes is enough for the current version of memcheck.

Back
Top Bottom