Web Programming Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bheron

Beta member
Hi all, first post here...

I have limited knowledge of a few basic programming languages, but nothing as far as internet/web programming past basic HMTL.

I'm trying to figure out what types of programming or packages would be used to create software to:

- scan a web page, scrub or pull data from it, and then parse the data down into single fragments to be used elsewhere.

- access a pre-dermined web page and automatically execute an automated script of steps like enter data into a field, click a button to submit a form, etc.

Sorry if this sounds way off here :0

Thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like you're trying to make some sort of bot.

Clarify your intentions and you might get some where.

thanks. good point. let me be more specific:

The idea is around fantasy football leagues run by Yahoo Fantasy Sports or CBS Sportsline. I am in three different leagues. All of them are accessed by logging into the website with my user ID and password. Once Im logged in, I follow a navigatin path to access my team. I would like to automate that process of accessing the URL, loggin in with the supplied credentials, and accessing the roster page. Then, once on that page, I would like to copy/get/grab all of the data on that page and store it in a local database. I would like to do this for all 3 of my leagues, one on CBS Sportsline, two on Yahoo. Then, once i have the data, I would like to re-display it on a different website that I host myself.

Let me know if this makes sense. I design systems for a living, but dont know much about the programming behind it. This would be a side project where I might teach myself the programming.

Thanks!

Hmm.

Possibly a combination of PHP and cURL. If they offered some sort of API or something, that would make life easier.

I would check out cURL though, see if it will work for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom