Watch Dogs

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
Been looking forward to this game and as of now it's supposed to be a Release Date pf: May 27, 2014, But what I just found interesting is Nvidia just gave noticed of another driver update and adds SLI for Watch dogs???? HMMM will a beta be coming before release, Why 2 months before the game is out. Making me wonder, Plan on getting this one early on.

Dauntae

Watch Dogs is yet another game that's failed to reach it's maximum potential due to consoles.

It's clear that the commotion over a reduction in graphical quality is a result of crappy consoles. The graphics were downgraded so they played performed well on consoles, end of. If it was a PC exclusive game the graphics would have only got better from E3 2012, not worse. Getting pretty sick of it.

I really hope VR catches on, because the PS4 and Xbone are barely going to be fast enough for it to even work well, causing PC to become the main platform, and therefor more PC exclusives. And that's now. In 5 years time the Oculus Rift version 3 or 4 is going to be exponentially better than the first version, there is not a chance in hell PS4 and Xbone will be able to power it (because the resolution for HMD displays is going to go crazy high, very quickly). There will be so much difference between a PC gaming experience and a PS4/Xbone gaming experience it's going to be insane, I predict the gap will be way wider than it was with the PS3/360 and PC.

Last edited:
They detailed that in the wiki and it clearly states PC is lead platform and that E3 was demoed on a PS4. If the details were downgraded due to console it doesn't necessarily mean PC is also degraded since PC wasn't the demo platform.

As to the rest, the same predictions were made when 360 and PS3 came out. It takes developers to embrace rather than stagnate. Out of sheer laziness I expect stagnation rather than embracing tech that requires some actual work.

They detailed that in the wiki and it clearly states PC is lead platform and that E3 was demoed on a PS4. If the details were downgraded due to console it doesn't necessarily mean PC is also degraded since PC wasn't the demo platform.

As to the rest, the same predictions were made when 360 and PS3 came out. It takes developers to embrace rather than stagnate. Out of sheer laziness I expect stagnation rather than embracing tech that requires some actual work.

When the 360 and PS3 came out the PC could only offer better graphics, and the misconception of PC gaming being difficult to set up existed. SteamBox should hopefully solve the latter problem.

VR is different, anyone and everyone who tries it is instantly convinced it's far better than gaming on a monitor or TV. Gamers love it, non gamers love it, and it doesn't take any explanation. You don't put the Rift on someones head and spend 20 minutes explaining why it's better, it's immediately obvious that it is a totally different experience. That means console gamers will care that they don't have it because the XBONE and PS4 arn't really powerful enough. It also means it will sell really well, PC devs will hopefully embrace it, and indie devs already have embraced it. Oculus as a company are making it really easy for certain developers to take a risk. They are using a substantial amount of their capital to publish AAA games on the Rift, which takes pretty much all the risk out of developing a AAA game for an unreleased and mostly untested product. EVE Valkyrie is the only one announced, but they've basically said there are two or three big games they are publishing yet to be announced. I'm sure there will be a tonne more once they finally get the consumer version on the shelves and make money on it.

The Rift is also already fully supported in Unity, CryEngine and Unreal engine. It's not even hard to implement on a basic level (though a 'made for VR' game basically needs to be done from scratch)

Last edited:
Still takes developers as a whole to embrace it and it's going to be an expensive technology like anything else new so it won't become anything like mainstream anytime soon.

THe misconception of PCs being more difficult will always be around and I don't really see Steambox changing that.

Still takes developers as a whole to embrace it and it's going to be an expensive technology like anything else new so it won't become anything like mainstream anytime soon.

THe misconception of PCs being more difficult will always be around and I don't really see Steambox changing that.

Oculus Rift will only be ~$300. Far cheaper than a PS4 or 360. Though it is a peripheral I guess.

I think if the experience is good enough (which it is), people won't mind spending that money. Think about the amount of people that spend $600+ every year or two upgrading their smartphone. Not everybody, but judging by the profits of Samsung and Apple, a very large amount of people are happy to spend that money every year or two. So I think quite a lot of gamers will be happy spending half of that every couple of years if it's really good. Some won't, sure. It's hard to put figures on the amount of gamers that are prepared to pay $300 for a peripheral, probably a lot more PC gamers than console gamers as we are used to it with regards to PC upgrades and stuff.

Yea except phones are paid over the course of your upgrade cycle monthly and they get you by that down then paying it off over time. This is 300 dollars up front for a PC only periph PLUS you need a PC to handle the finished product which we already discussed is going to take some hunka hunka hardware love.
It's going to be a niche product man until way more things support it and it's cheaper to buy and run.

Yea except phones are paid over the course of your upgrade cycle monthly and they get you by that down then paying it off over time. This is 300 dollars up front for a PC only periph PLUS you need a PC to handle the finished product which we already discussed is going to take some hunka hunka hardware love.
It's going to be a niche product man until way more things support it and it's cheaper to buy and run.

Mmmmyeah probably. I reckon they'll sell 1m consumer units within a year. Still fairly niche with respect to the size of hardcore PC gamers, and next gen console sales. But it'll be enough to make it worth while supporting for some developers IMO. Indie Developers are pretty happy with 50 to 100K sales, which is easily achieveable wth an install base of 1m. And to be honest I think some of the best experienes will be indie games. Once it grows a bit more over the years more and more AAA games will be developed for it im sure.

I mean, they sold nearly 60K Dev Kits. Which is a really unfinished, low spec piece of kit. 720p over two eyes, owch. If that was enough to excite 60K developers (though i'm sure quite a lot of those sales were just to normal people) then I think it's got a good future.

Plus Valve. Valve are a powerhouse of PC gaming. And Oculus Rift have the full support of Gabe Newell and his company. SteamVR is being made which is basically an API for VR games to make them easy to develop, SteamOS will fully support VR, and Source 2 is being made to work great with VR. That means Left 4 Dead 3, TF3, HL3... they're all going to support Oculus Rift really well. That is going to drive sales hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom