Want to game a little better

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaBbOtT

Baseband Member
I have a pretty much stock Dell Dimension 9150 computer and I was wondering what I could do to it to make it a decent gaming rig. I"m not looking for the best, just solid. I understand that I need to upgrade memory (gonna fix that with a couple sticks of corsair 1 gigs) but I'm wondering about a good video card and if I need a bigger power supply to run said video card. Any and all suggestions would be most helpful. If more info is needed just let me know. Thanks in advance SaBbOtT
PS I am a borderline "newb" so please be gentle lol

wel need your over all cpu specs, includign if it is pci-e or agp, aswell as your psu wattage preaty much just give us all your system specs.

I have cpuz but do not know how to copy that into this forums. I do know that I have pci-e . But cpuz dosn't give me the size of the psu. (I think that is a 325 watt)

I have cpuz but do not know how to copy that into this forums. I do know that I have pci-e . But cpuz dosn't give me the size of the psu. (I think that is a 325 watt)

Sorry, a 375 power supply

wel need your over all cpu specs, includign if it is pci-e or agp, aswell as your psu wattage preaty much just give us all your system specs.

like I said its a stock dell dimension 9150. Got an intel pentium d 820 2.8Ghz(If I'm not mistaken) not enough memory(512) and a 375 watt power supply.Mainboard is model oyc523 (if it helps) Right now it has onboard sound and a ATI X300/X550/X1050 video card. Anything else?

pick up a 9800gt and a psu, with a ram kit you wil be fine look around for a 500w psu, i wouldnt recomend any more powerfull of a gpu do to your not so good cpu.

Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

After rebate it's only $44.99 A friend just got one of these, it's very nice.

You don't need 600W, but it's a very good deal so if you can, you ought to get it.

Edit: Be weary though, some Dell models use propriety parts and you can't use standard components. For example, sometimes they have a custom pin-out on their PSU's, or the RAM is "special". I'm not sure if your model does that, but might want to research it.

The 9150 is a recent model, so the parts should be off-the-shelf. Older Dell's are a different story, just like CrazeD said.

Want to thank all who helped. I am very thankful and will look into the suggestions given. Sorry it took awhile to get back to you all but work has been a pain this month. Thanks again, SaBbOtT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom