It says 4gig total memory.
Most of it has been cached
There is very little free memory.

I am not sure if that's normal?

Are there some settings
that I need to adjust?

( New to vista and vista 64 )

Thanks.

How little is little? Some specific data would be useful, but generally yes... it is normal for vista to use more and more memory as you add more to your system.

Thats normal. Unused memory is wasted memory. Vista puts stuff into memory that you use frequently, its called prefetch. It helps load programs that you use often faster.

Post a screenshot of you Task Manager. We will need to see a list of your running processes to tell you what is really going on.

Not really looking for that level of detail yet.
Only been on vista for a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

It has nothing to do with the amount of detail. You could have a malicious program running or a program taking up to much memory when it shouldnt be.

I was only offering to try and help you understand what was running and why the read out said what it did.

New to forum, thought it would
be a big hassle to post pics.

Here are the shots.

Attachments

• tm01.jpg
    tm01.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tm02.jpg
    tm02.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
Well right away i can see that you have Media Center running. (EHTray) That is where part of the cached memory is and why it isnt free.

I see Avast is also open. The GUI component. Flash Utility, Media Center Stats, XBOX Stat. The Media Center would be the biggest hog of the memory on why it is cached and not shown as free.

If you shut down Media Center you should see a drop in that number along with Free going up.

But according to the stuff i see you are in no real issue with memory. You are really only using 1.28GB of the 4GB you have. The rest is used by Super Fetch and cached.

Hope that better explains some stuff for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom