Vista Defrag...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atech66

In Runtime
I have had this clean install 1 week.
I have only ever installed Crysis and Witcher.
It took the program manager 20 minutes to uninstall Crysis last night and i started a Defrag this morning at 6.... its 7:30 and still running.. omg.
Am i doing something wrong besides running Vista? is there some
hurry the he... up setting.

That sounds really odd. My defrags with Vista have always been really quick actually. Do you have the service pack installed? I know that helped with the way vista worked with files.

Yup sure do.
Maybe being 64 bit or home premium make a difference?
its still running almost 8 AM now.. have had not 1 other issue with it until now.

this is hard to believe almost 2 hours wow.
Got activity lights going so i guess its doing something here. :/

8:30 no sign of stopping .. i need to do my homework on this.. i never had to look into it before..
tell me Vista is not doing something retarded like backing up the entire drive or something rediculouse as part of the defrag. the redundancy of this OS in some ways kills me.

You could always try a different defrag program like Defraggler or Auslogics.

I am all about 3rd party in this case.. i'll check em out ty :) this is a bit much.. i mean ya i understand quality of the defrag vs speed etc but yeeesh.
IT STOPPED :) a mere 2.5 hours what was i complaining about : / hate to see it when i actually have something on the drive. ::shudder::

It shouldn't take nearly that long, I have a 250Gb almost full up and they don't take nearly that long. Your specs are probably way better than mine too.

I want to ad something though.
So as not to be misunderstood.
There are a few minor things I may not love about this OS.
But Vista 64 is starting to change my mind about it. I know its old to many but it was new to me I was still and XP Pro guy. other than some run ins working on other peoples systems running it.
The only issue i had was running Sandra BSOD 2 times but thats it.
other than that its been very stable and once i learned how to use it properly and set it up for my needs I am really starting to like it. I based many of my opinions on the initial release and the mass issues. and also my first run ins with it were a nightmare as a tech
with all the over bearing security and compatibility issue's but I must admit i have not been fair as time as passed i carried old resentments.
But its deff had massive improvement by leaps and bounds from what i remember.
I think my own ignorance of it collided with its disfunctional, not user friendly state in the beginning and i was set on disliking it.
but after a few weeks up close and personal we are on friendly terms. I was just in a crappy mood yesterday and in a hurry lol
that defrag still took way too long. :p

SP1 really improved things, and really should have been what Vista was released as, but they wanted to push it out on the market to try to get people off of XP. Sadly that didn't work, and just pushed people back to XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom