Virus Possibility?

Extreme112

In Runtime
Lets say I scan a .exe file with norton and it shows up with no viruses or anything, if I lauch the .exe is it still possible that there is kind of like a hidden virus which launches when the .exe is opened?

I am new here, and actually just started. I know this shouldn't be my first post, but just wanted to answer this question. :) So, Extreme112, there is a slight chance there is a virus, but I would think not. Norton is a pretty good anti-Virus, in my opinion, and if it says there isn't a virus, I believe them. After you launch it, when you have the time scan your full PC with Norton, if you want to be sure. If it is an illegal file, that is meant to , for example, give you something for free that really isn't, it has a higher chance to be virus infested. Hope I helped, good luck.

Actually it can contain a virus still. That is how most viruses infect a system in fact. You download a file from the internet and run it. The file downloads and scans fine but once you run it that is when you get infected cause it runs a separate sub script or something that causes the machine to become infected.

Not to be the burden of bad news, but Norton constantly fails independent tests runs by various sites. It has one of the lowest detection rates out there. That along with McAfee have been struggling to keep up with even free versions of various software out there. Microsoft with their free Security Essentials has been awarded more awards than Norton has as of late. MSE has been awarded Silver when Norton didnt even place in the AV-Comparatives awards last year. So that is something to consider.

Thanks for the info. Though what anti-virus would you suggest instead of Norton? I'm currently using Norton 360 5.0 and If I were to buy a new Anti-virus I want a software with the most features in it.

The features dont make the software. They are only additions. I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It does the job and it is non-intrusive. It works without you even knowing it is there. You only get notified when there is an issue. But if your looking for something more than that go with BitDefender Security Suite:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/bitdefender-internet-security-2011-review-237355/

I personally used this and it is feature rich. But i would suggest you dont let the addition of features dictate what software you use. Find the one that has the perfect combination. It works and give you some of the features you want.

Couple more, is it a good idea to use 2 antivirus software at the same time? And if I scan a compreased file, will I het the same results as when I extract and scab its contents?

It is never a good idea to use 2 AV's at once. The one could find the item to be a virus and the other might not. Causing a conflict within the system on what course of action to take. Thus allowing the file to remain and if it is infectious it will cause you harm.

It wont make any difference. It isnt going to give you any benefit running two and then turning off one when you do a scan. That doesnt help when the file is being downloaded and both are active. You will still get the conflict and have it pass right through as if there wasnt even one installed.

Back
Top Bottom