Video Card Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fateisajester

Contributor
I need a new video card. I would like to have 3d support and have a screen resolution of 1280*1024. Im not trying to start a flame war, I just want serious suggestions. I dont really want to spend over $100. What video cards do you have, or have had in past that have worked well on linux. btw im using ubuntu 6.

The FX5500 works great in Linux. In Ubuntu (unless you've installed/compiled a kernel other than the one included), just put the card in, open a terminal and:
Code:
sudo -i
apt-get install nvidia-glx
nvidia-xconfig
/etc/init.d/gdm restart
and you're be on your merry way with 3D acceleration. :classic:

But I can't stress this enough:

GET AN NVIDIA CARD FOR LINUX

That link you posted is broken, but as I said before I have a 5700 and it works great. 3d acceleration is working good, and I am also running 2 monitors off of it with no problems whatsoever.

So far I have used 3 Nvidia cards on the same machine and they have all worked without a hitch. I never even had to tweak anything under Linux.

You have got me worrying now.
i use a ati graphics gard on ubuntu 6.
i am now not sure wether it knows i am using a graphics card or not. do i need to tell it a have a dedicated graphics gard?

my easy check was the screensavers.
The 3d ones didnt work too well.. after sorting the drivers out the run really smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom